Small low power file Server

Soldato
Not sure this is the right forum but I’m going to go for it anyway!

Sonos in their infinite wisdom have ended support for SMB V1 file shares meaning I can no longer use my local music library from a USB stick in the back of my Plusnet Router. So I’m looking for a replacement, all it needs to do is share approximately 70GB of MP3’s and about 30GB of photos. It needs to be compact, low power and low maintenance so was thinking Pii or similar single board setup, what would you all use and how would you set it up?

Don
If it's just as file share as cheap and low power as possible, HP Thin client T530 or similar (around £35 on ebay with 128Gb storage )

Could either use Windows or replace with a Linux NAS such as Openmediavault

Edit:
Dell/Wyse 5070 is another good option, similar price, but has Quad core Intel CPU, 2 dimm slots and full size sata M.2 slot

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Probably more than you'd be looking to spend but I moved most of that kind of stuff to a J4125 based fanless mini PC - unlike the newer J and N series CPUs which replaced it the J4125 has very low idle power use.

Soldato
What have you already got? An older Pi would do this, a budget uSFF or older NUC, you can get a *lot* of bang for your buck now with a very small power footprint and it's not like you need much in the way of CPU/RAM, heck even an old APU2 or similar would be a reasonable shout.

Associate
What have you already got? An older Pi would do this, a budget uSFF or older NUC, you can get a *lot* of bang for your buck now with a very small power footprint and it's not like you need much in the way of CPU/RAM, heck even an old APU2 or similar would be a reasonable shout.
Yeah, pi would be perfect.

Soldato
Another vote for a Pi of some kind. Great pieces of kit and very energy efficient. A Pi 4b would be more than enough.

Soldato
What will really blow your mind is when you realise a Pi is more expensive and potentially has higher power consumption/lower spec & performance. Pi's were the default answer years ago, for some things they still are, but now they tend not to make as much sense, unless you have one already.

Don
What will really blow your mind is when you realise a Pi is more expensive and potentially has higher power consumption/lower spec & performance. Pi's were the default answer years ago, for some things they still are, but now they tend not to make as much sense, unless you have one already.

Exactly this - unless you need either GPIO or the very small form factor, or already have one lying around unused from something else, almost everything is a better option.
Even power usage of a Pi isn't the huge selling point it once was, with the newer models burning almost as much as most mini PCs.

Back
Top Bottom