Smaller 4k Monitors this year?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Do you think we will see 4k monitors at around 21.5" this year? LG Ultrafine was released not that long ago to compliment the MacBook Pro but it only supports a USB-C connection, rather than Thunderbolt 3.

The next smallest monitors are 24", all of which are 2-3 years old now and some of these are being discontinued. It seems there is a gap in the monitor lineup for smaller 4k monitors.

I know for most a smaller 4k monitor makes no sense, but for a external display on Mac, it's a perfect way to run HiDPI 1920x1080 - which is too big on 27" and a little too big on 24".

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Asked and answered lol! Really no market for these as far as I can see.

There is within the Mac community, hence the 21.5" LG Ultrafine which was recently release. However this is only compatible with 2016 MacBook Pros. For the vast majority of users we are left with the 2-3 year old 24" 4k monitors which appear to be discontinuing.

Soldato
That's still the definition of niche... there's far more money to be made (and demand) for bigger and faster 4K panels, which we've yet to see materialise. That's where the manufacturer focus will be.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
We also have 24UD58 - this is not a 2-3 year old one, its a current model 24" 4K - if it helps?

You're right, and I'm still debating whether a 24" is OK for HiDPI 1080p, or if I should hold out to see if anyone else will bring a 21.5" to market that works with more than just USB-C.

They all use the same PLS panel which is quite old now. I'm hoping that some of the 24" models will get refresh this year because they are quite ugly looking monitors.

Associate
Oh dear god! Why would you even want a 4k on <27", even on a 27" that's the minimum i would buy a 4k on, 32" would be the best.
Things would be absolutely tiny if you put a 4k on a 21.5"

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Oh dear god! Why would you even want a 4k on <27", even on a 27" that's the minimum i would buy a 4k on, 32" would be the best.

I think you missed the part about Mac user and HiDPI. 21.5" is roughly 220ppi which for 1920x1080 is very sharp aka "Retina".

A 27" running 1920x1080 "retina" HiDPI is too large in terms of the UI and about 180ppi.

For reference my 15" MacBook Pro is running 1440x900 Retina and has 220ppi. A 21.5" 4k has almost identical ppi to that of my MBP.

There is definitely a need for more 21.5" 4k monitors, there's certainly an appetite for mac users who don't have a 2016 MBP.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I haven't heard anything on smaller than 24" 4K screens outside of the Ultrafine one we make for Apple

I wouldn't say our 24UD58 is ugly lol

It think it's hard to tell from the pictures. Most of the product shots that have a super imposed desktop image add in an additional black border which I think isn't there in the flesh?

The image from the LG website looks good.

8dl2q35.jpg

but then you look at the same one from Amazon, it seems to have gained an extra black border making the bezel look massive.

D1pzmaM.jpg

Man of Honour
Really don't see the point tbh. I think the reason they are so hard to find is that no-one wants them.

I get you want as close to retina as possible, but I think you're underestimating the quality of 4K monitors at higher sizes. I use a 40" with the same machine as you, and even sitting as close as I do, the quality is stunning. I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference in PPI between a true retina display/resolution and a decent 4K screen especially if you're happy with 27"

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Really don't see the point tbh. I think the reason they are so hard to find is that no-one wants them.

I get you want as close to retina as possible, but I think you're underestimating the quality of 4K monitors at higher sizes. I use a 40" with the same machine as you, and even sitting as close as I do, the quality is stunning. I'd be amazed if you could tell the difference in PPI between a true retina display/resolution and a decent 4K screen especially if you're happy with 27"
I'm admittedly a bit of a pixel peeper. I'd definitely tell the difference between retina and poverty ppi.
Saying that the ultra wides do look rather nice.

Associate
Are you talking about being able to tell the difference in UI size, or pixel size? Because with 4k at 27" the core problem would most probably not be the pixels being too big, but simply a case of inferior UI design.

It's like first trying to hunt a bear with a slingshot, and failing. The most sensible thing would be to just get a hunting rifle to get the job done. But nooo, someone got the grand idea of using a bazooka...

Sorry to say, but outside of Apple's UI-doubling, there's very little demand for 4k under 27".

Soldato
Even my 5.5 inch mobile phone screen is 1440p (1440 x 2560 pixels ~534 ppi pixel density) :D

So surely a 4k 21.5 inch screen should be fine..

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
21.5" 4k is fantastic when used in x2 retina mode. Obviously if it was being run at native, I'd consider a bigger monitor. 21.5" is a good size for 1920x1080 which is the scaled retain for a 4k.

Soldato

Just because you dont personally want or understand the need does not mean there aren't other people out there including myself who would like more options when it comes to high resolution monitors in smaller sizes.

Back
Top Bottom