smart doorbell/cameras/alarm help

Associate
I need some advice as we have just moved to a a new (old) home.

I am hoping to setup a doorbell, alarm and camera.

For the doorbell I am thinking the Reolink doorbell as it seems to be getting good reviews. How is the latency on this though? as the biggest issue I have with smart doorbells is how slow it is. wifi vs poe?

This brings me to the next point. Going poe means a nvr I guess. But this seems overkill for a home and the cameras all look gery(sp?). My sister has just bought the blink outdoor and doorbell system off the amazon deal. The cameras look boxy I think but slightly better and smaller (Just seen the packaging).

Only think is I was hoping to somehow have everything integrated on the same system. I've heard of Home Assistant but this seems complex. Would these cameras work on home assistant? what would be a better camera system if I was to go this route?

Next is an alarm! again something thats integrated would be great. Just like a panel to arm and disarm and that can send messages/ alerts.

Does something like exist? What would be best?

Huge thread here with lots of info:

Brands I would look at:

Reolink
Ajax
Arlo
Ring
Blink

If you read the CCTV thread, you will find that Reolink is often recommended. They make good cameras, have good support and are well priced. There is a Reolink Community you can join on Facebook for advice. Reolink cameras also integrate audible alarms. You would get alerts to your phone on an app, and be able to talk to an intruder via the camera speaker (two way communication via the mic).

Ajax are also worth a look for integrated security.

I would say a PoE setup is superior to WiFi, if you are able to run the cables. Better resilience and no need to supply power to cameras separately or recharge cameras. However, you wouldn't have to have an NVR, you could also live monitor on an app, or use SD cards in the cameras. Or there is software such as BlueIris and you use your PC for monitoring.

I am learning about security cameras, and all this is just my opinion, hope it helps.

For your research, here's a list of brands that provide CCTV and security systems:

Ajax
Annke
Arlo
Blink
Dahua
Ener-J
ESP
eufy
EZVIZ
Google Nest
Hikvision
Lorex
Netatmo
Reolink
Ring
Swann
Tapo
UniFi
Yale

I highly recommend Reolinks doorbell. My front path is only about 4 steps, latency can’t be too bad as delivery guys in a rush are usually banging on the door when I get the motion detection (and the doorbell notification if they bother). It’s not an issue is what I’m saying. Poe might be better - I’d certainly go that route if you’re able to.

They also just launched a Hub which you could check out. Sort of a halfway house to an NVR. Or you could just use the SD storage which is working absolutely fine for me - you can backup your footage via the app via FTP to a basic home server- or setup email notifications which send you a still image as well.

The app is great, I’ve even managed to talk to the postie a couple of times to tell him where to hide packages. And no subscription!

Back
Top Bottom