Smoke alarm regulations.

Soldato
Hi, does anyone know what the regulations are on smoke alarms these days. Seem to just be finding stuff about rental properties. Having a garage conversion at the moment done and on the drawings it states:

"Interlinked smoke detection system,
mains operated with battery back up
to comply to BS: 5446 & BS 5446.1
To be installed in ground floor and
1st floor lobby areas, with additional
heat detector to kitchen"

Problem is we have nest protect downstairs in lounge and upstairs in the hallway, wired in and connected to each other. They don't do the heat detection part which means couldn't be all linked if we stuck something else in the kitchen.

Anyone know if it's definitely mandatory or can we get away with the two or just add a third into the new area.

Thanks a lot.

Don
This will depend on whether you’re in Scotland or not.

In Scotland it is a legal requirement (but not enforced) for residences to have interlinked detectors in line with the regulations. It’s only enforced for rented properties (with the landlord liable).

Elsewhere in the UK I don’t believe regulations exist for this.

Soldato
OP
This will depend on whether you’re in Scotland or not.

In Scotland it is a legal requirement (but not enforced) for residences to have interlinked detectors in line with the regulations. It’s only enforced for rented properties (with the landlord liable).

Elsewhere in the UK I don’t believe regulations exist for this.

Nope, just mainland UK but have two hardwired in and linked together.

Don
Nope, just mainland UK but have two hardwired in and linked together.
Someone will hopefully correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe theres any specific regulations for private homes elsewhere in the UK.

What you have been offered would comply with the Scottish regs and since it is the BS it would be considered good practice to follow it. Given you already have smoke detection in place, personally I would be happy just to add a separate heat in the kitchen.

Take it you don’t have any gas appliances? Would be advisable to also have a CO detector for each of these if you have. These don’t need to be interlinked under any regs.

Soldato
OP
Someone will hopefully correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe theres any specific regulations for private homes elsewhere in the UK.

What you have been offered would comply with the Scottish regs and since it is the BS it would be considered good practice to follow it. Given you already have smoke detection in place, personally I would be happy just to add a separate heat in the kitchen.

Take it you don’t have any gas appliances? Would be advisable to also have a CO detector for each of these if you have. These don’t need to be interlinked under any regs.

Gas boiler and gas hob. The nest protects both have CO detectors built into them.

Think I've found what I was looking for. We weren't originally planning to have a door but we are now:

"All dwellings should be provided with an alarm system to at least Grade D1/D2, Category LD3 – this means the installation of mains powered alarms with an integral back-up power supply within the escape routes of the property (i.e. hallways and landings). In addition, the Regulations also require a heat alarm to be installed in any kitchen areas where the kitchen is not separated from the circulation space or stairway by a door.

The Regulations state that optical smoke alarms are generally more suitable for installation in circulation areas (hallways and landings) adjacent to kitchens. Heat alarms are recommended for kitchens."

Associate
Just check with whoever is doing your building regs certificate.

Different authorities really do interpret the regs differently.

Your builders, if they’re doing this all the time will be able to tell you though.

The problem is that for any substantial development and material change to a dwelling, or converting to etc… requires alarms or your regs aren’t met.

Likewise - check fire door requirements.

Our loft conversion required 8 fire doors and 5 smoke alarms, with two heat alarms. They wouldn’t sign off without them.

All interlinked.

At the moment, all these google / nest stuff is really good - but not compliant for installs like that. I’m sure at some point they will be.

Don
Gas boiler and gas hob. The nest protects both have CO detectors built into them.

Think I've found what I was looking for. We weren't originally planning to have a door but we are now:

"All dwellings should be provided with an alarm system to at least Grade D1/D2, Category LD3 – this means the installation of mains powered alarms with an integral back-up power supply within the escape routes of the property (i.e. hallways and landings). In addition, the Regulations also require a heat alarm to be installed in any kitchen areas where the kitchen is not separated from the circulation space or stairway by a door.

The Regulations state that optical smoke alarms are generally more suitable for installation in circulation areas (hallways and landings) adjacent to kitchens. Heat alarms are recommended for kitchens."
What are you putting into the garage conversion and are you having a hallway between it and the rest of the building?

Soldato
OP
What are you putting into the garage conversion and are you having a hallway between it and the rest of the building?

Yeah, moving the downstairs toilet there and creating an office. There's internal wall changes to create an entrance hall through to both.

Don
Yeah, moving the downstairs toilet there and creating an office. There's internal wall changes to create an entrance hall through to both.
Ah ok, I was thinking there would be no need to retrospectively apply new build regs, but yeah if you add a hallyway it would need a interlinked detector which would likely force you to bring the rest of the fire detection up to that level in the building if there's a need for a build regs cert to be signed off on the change.

Back
Top Bottom