Snow Leopard upgrade questions

Soldato
I'm going to install Snow Leopard fresh (perhaps), however I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1) Will my Bootcamp install on my second disk be preserved if I do a full-blown re-install? Or should it simply be a case of doing a Windows repair ?

2) I have a time capsule - I've only used it for recovering single files so far. I presume that (like Leopard), after the install completes if gives you a chance to migrate/recover files from Time Machine. Is recovering ONLY my iTunes library easy enough? Do I need to keep anything in mind when I do this to preserve purchase history, ratings etc.? I needn't keep anything else other than a few documents here and there and some virtual machine files.

What happens when Snow Leopard is re-install and I want to configure time machine. Will it over-write all my old data with a new archive of my current machine? Or will it create a new machine record?

3) How about just doing an upgrade? Has anyone had good experience in this?

Commissario
I turned off Time Machine when I did my Snow Leopard upgrade and afterwards I just turned it back on again. The first backup was pretty large but once it was done I could quite easily just go back to pre-Snow Leopard and restore any files I wanted.

I only had one problem after upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard on my MBP which was related to Spotlight but I found a fix and all is good. It's worth trying an upgrade rather than a new install and if all works well then you don't need to start again from scratch.

The way the Snow Leopard upgrade works is that it effectively does an archive and install. It preserves everything from your Leopard installation but is actually a complete new OS build, it doesn't patch the old version.

Soldato
I went with the upgrade option having only got my Macbook a few months ago. Everything was great though I thought the upgrade would have been a bit quicker to install (though I am new to OS X so I don't know a great deal about it yet) but Feek's reply seems to covered that.

Other than that, I haven't encountered any Snow Leopard related issues. ;)

Back
Top Bottom