Snow Sports Thread 2018-19

Don
Been a couple of posts in last years thread recently, so might as well put a new one up for the coming winter.

Personally not sure what I'm going to do this year, probably try and ski a bit more at Coe and Nevis if the conditions are good this year.

Abroad? Not sure yet.

Don
OP
I tried looking for a decent set of those and reddit users kept telling me that quick changers are the way the manufacturers are going. Would much prefer not having to change lense. Have you had any success/recommendations on the photochromatic?
I’ve got a pair of Solomon goggles that are quick change, but I just use the chromatic lens in it (£200 though I think). I’ve got low light and also extreme bright lenses for them, only the extreme (Cat 4 I think, the chromatic is Cat 1 to 3) might come in handy as on blue sky days in bright sunshine the chromatic can be a fraction too bright.

Don
OP
Apparently she missed her flight to join her team for training and that was all it was that tipped her over the edge. Something totally irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Just felt she had let everyone down apparently. :(

Don
OP
Aldi or Lidl (can never remember) have reasonable looking ski outer wear for sale at the moment for about £30 I think, which I assume would at least have a decent water resistant shell to it.

Other things I would recommend is a buff, handy for a bit of sun protection or pull it up to cover your face in blizzard conditions. Probably the best £5 you can spend for skiing, or even pick up for free in some places.

You only need one pair of gloves as well, though it is handy to have maybe an unisulated pair for warm days.

My recommendation for leg wear under your outerwear is 3/4 length cotton tracksuit bottoms - avoids that roll up of material at the top of your boot.

Worth getting a decent pair of ski socks as well.

Don
OP
You can wear merino wool for days on end without it smelling, I tend to wear mine for a couple of days and then change, but I worn some upto 5 days without it smelling.

Last edited:
Don
OP
Having an interesting holiday in Colorado at the moment. 6 feet of snow since Saturday here at Breck, huge avalanches all over the places. The main road has been blocked a few times with people having to be dug out of their cars after being buried:-

This morning part of Copper Mountain round the corner had to be evacuated after an avalanche ruptured the local petrol stations fuel pipeline spewing petrol all over the place shutting the highway again.

Controlled avalanches the other day left 15 feet of snow on the road that needed cleared.

Don
OP
You’ll tend to get big discounts at this time of year as shops will be clearing the 18-19 stock as they move into the summer season. Next seasons boots will essentially be the same as this years, possibly just different colours so it’s not something I would specifically wait for if you can get a pair now that fits and you like the look of.

Back
Top Bottom