So, a Lexus IS250?

Associate
I've been considering buying myself a Lexus IS 250 around the 06/07 age (SE-L, rather than SE as road tax is about £200 less).
Does anyone on here have one?
What are they like to live with?
Anything I should look out for?
What would be classed as "too many miles, stay clear"?
Being Toyotas essentially, is it unreasonable to expect 200k+ from them if reasonably maintained?

Associate
OP
Err... SE-L is just a bit of wood inside (and a couple of extras). No difference in the tax band, both being in K, at £280 a year to tax.

Possible it's just a coincidence, but every SE model I've seen was speced at 231g/km, whereas the SE-L is at 214g/km unless it's just SE-L come with an auto box which is what changes it?

Associate
OP
I think that must be what it is, as after a bit more research I've found it listed on parkers with the autos lower than the manuals. Must just be the SE-L is far more common as an auto than the SE!

Associate
OP
Mind if I ask the mileage, age & how much you paid & subsequently managed to sell on for?

The ones I've been looking at are around the £6k mark, with between 90-120k miles, are they worth getting at that price, or are they falling apart?

Associate
OP
Ditto, still researching running costs and common faults before sorting out a test drive. The Lexus forums seem to be pretty positive in general which is a nice change from the Renault forums...!

I have a few other cars on my short list which are "fairly similar". Mazda 6 MPS, Octavia MKII vRS and the Volvo S40 R-Design T5, but the Lexus is a bit different.

Nearest Lexus garage is around 60 miles away which is a bit of a pain, although I'm guessing any good Toyota indie would be up to the job?

If you find anything useful out, let me know!

I might actually have a look at those others too, I had a quick look at the Mazda & Octavia before, but didn't like the look of them much...

I'm a big fan of the IS250 in terms of value for money. The SE-L model is extremely well equipped with a great nav, reverse camera, keyless entry and start, heated and cooled seats etc etc.
My only complaints with them is that they aren't that big inside. Much smaller than the equivalent 3-series. They also don't ride very well on bad surfaces and they are a bit under powered.
As a package though I think they are really nice. Good to drive and comfortable.

Do choose an auto though. It's a bit old-school when compared to more modern auto boxes but is vastly superior to the manual box which is horrible. I had the misfortune to drive a manual IS when I had my old GS430 in for a service. It was horrible. Like stirring a rice pudding that was made with bits of pig-iron rather than rice.

How well equipped it is is one of the main reasons I like it. I've been spoilt too much over the last couple of years after driving so many new Jags & Range Rovers, nothing I can afford compares :( I did read that they're not that big in the back, but are fine in the front. To be honest, I'm not too bothered about how it is in the back, I'm not going to be giving a lift to a lot of people very often, and when I do, as long as I'm comfy, I don't mind!

I did consider the 3-series, but I'm really not a fan of the styling of BMWs (or Mercs), and don't really like to be considered as an Audi driver, so all in all, it doesn't leave me much choice!

Was deffo going to get the Auto if I was going to get one anyway, even if it's just to save the £200 a year in road tax!

Associate
OP
I have an IS300 but liked the look of the newer IS, so I took an IS250 for a test drive, I was really disappointed from a performance point of view, it felt totally gutless, just about seemed to get going if I really revved it round. My IS300 felt incredible on the way home.

Think I'd rather have the GS300, I know it's a lot bigger but on paper the performance looks better.

I have briefly looked at the GS. I personally think the IS looks better, all variants (other than the hybrid) have a tax brand bracket in the >£400/yr mark & there's only a couple under £6k, and most are £7k+ which is more than I was wanting to spend (especially then having the more expensive road tax)

Associate
OP
I didn't realise you could get them in the lower bracket. I assume the emissions are the same, it's just limited to bank K because it was first registered before 1st March 2006? I think I'm going to have to go and try them. Hopefully I can find a dealer with one of each to make it easier!

Back
Top Bottom