So from my dvd collection...

Soldato
OP
I own at least x 5 what you own :p

You call yourself a film fan :o

You own 1000 DVD's? I call BS :p The reason I don't own more is due to Blueray coming in. I'm scared DVD's will decline and my collection won't be worth having! I very rarely spend over £5 on a DVD.

also, buy 12 Angry Men

I already have it :)

How can you buy DVDs and not watch them? Don't understand.

I have over 200 and have watched around 80% of them. Not that bad going if you ask me

I'm watching the last 45 mins of Seven Samurai now, jesus this is a long film :p

Caporegime
You own 1000 DVD's? I call BS :p The reason I don't own more is due to Blueray coming in. I'm scared DVD's will decline and my collection won't be worth having! I very rarely spend over £5 on a DVD.

I shall post a picture tonight ;)
I'm pretty much the same, I'm *praying* they don't phase DVD's out in favor of Blue Ray, and I very VERY rarely pay full whack for a DVD, Just wait a month and it's a lot cheaper.

I'm watching the last 45 mins of Seven Samurai now, jesus this is a long film :p

HAHA good luck with that, it lasts about 4 days.

Soldato

He probably has, I've got 700, and I dont buy that many a year.

I did however start buying DVD's almost as soon as the technology arrived, long before most people even knew what they were.

Caporegime
He probably has, I've got 700, and I dont buy that many a year.

I did however start buying DVD's almost as soon as the technology arrived, long before most people even knew what they were.

Indeed, had one of the first DVD players available, and we(my dad used to be a Media / Film / Humanities teacher, he's moved on to bigger and better things, but his passion for film is still there so we spend quite a lot on film over the course of a year ) have been buying DVD's really ever since.

Man of Honour
How can you buy DVDs and not watch them? Don't understand.

Very easily, I've got somewhere in the region of 250 at the moment and I've got quite a lot still in the cellophane wrapping. That doesn't mean I've never watched the film but simply that I've bought it and not watched that copy yet as I've probably watched it at the cinema or at a friends. Some I bought because I fully intend to watch them when I get some time but I've just not got round to it just now.

It's a long film but it's great. Remember it's Casablanca next. ;)

Caporegime
Transporter - Not a bad action film, but it is just that - a daft action film.
Thin Red Line - I thought this was overrated, but I was only 15 when I saw it.
Hard Boiled - This is meant to be brilliant
The Good The Bad and the Ugly - Likewise
Analyse This - Ugh. Ignore this until it goes away.
L.A Confidential - This is BRILLIANT.
Schindlers List - Also brilliant, but very harrowing. Like, massiveley so.
Raging Bull - I couldn't get into this, but it won oscars, so there must be something to it.
O Brother, Where Art Thou - Quirky, pretty good.
Alien 1/2/3 - 1 is absolutely outstanding, 2 is very good, 3 is meh.

Soldato
OP
Well Today I watched Seven Samurai and Rear Window.

I enjoyed both but wasn't ecstatic about either. The script in Rear Window was as you'd expect from Hitchcock, excellent. How he manages to grip the audience through the use of predominantly one location and three/four actors is something to be admired.

After reading the blurb on the back on the DVD case. ' one of the most memorable and gripping film endings of all time' I was left very disappointed. There I was waiting for the some intelligent twist behind the murder mystery to be revealed but there just wasn't one ? Please don't tell me the memorable part was him braking his other leg?

Sitting through 3+ hours of a black and white subtitled film did get somewhat challenging at times but I thoroughly enjoyed SS. I can see why it receives such wide acclaim. The camera work and framing are all done brilliantly as is the acting.

Semi-Pro It's Casablanca tomorrow ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely another vote for LA Confidential as being brilliant!!!

On the subject of unwatched dvds in your collection, I am also in the camp of having quite a few in the collection that I've not watched. Think it's cos I tend to buy a few at a time and watch one or two of them that day the rest go on the shelf for another day

Soldato
OP
Just finished watching Casablanca, didn't particularly enjoy it. Film was far too political for my liking.

However it was a great love story with a very very good script. Ingrid Bergman is hawt as well! (well she was :p) Acting is also top notch. Really enjoyed the unexpected twist at the end as well.

Great film but just not my kind of film. 7/10

Later I shall watch The Good, The Bad and the Fugly.

I'm currently struggling for ideas as to what to write for my dissertation (Film and TV), watching all these highly regarded 'old films' has made me ask myself why are they so highly regarded? Is it simply down to the plot being far superior? hmmm

Films nowadays with so many advantage on their side such as technology, budget etc fail to live up to these old 'classics'

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well at least you tried Casablanca, it's fair enough not to like it (I'll begrudgingly grant you that right :p) but you've now seen it so that's another person ticked off my list - I'm trying to make sure as many people as possible watch it and 12 Angry Men. You've got to take the context of the time they were made into account for a lot of older films and Casablanca is no exception to that but I think as a story it stands up marvellously against almost any other film I've ever seen with strong performances throughout. It's also one of the most misquoted films ever unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom