So I Just Bought A Slow Cooker!!

Soldato
4.5l capacity.

I want to fire it up this weekend :D

But. I've never used one and don't have/know any slow cooker recipies.

OcUK, I appeal to you. Please can I have some of your favourite recipies please?

Anything will do. Just very eager to use the slow cooker and to know that what I'll be getting will be delicious :)

As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

I am about to do this. Skin on or off?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!! :D

So far:

I have chilli in the cooker as we speak. It's my own recipe which I've used for ages but decided that it would be awesome if I used chuck steak with it and slow cooked it for four hours. It'll be a late dinner but hey ho. There'll be lots to freeze as well :)

I now have in the fridge a 1.5kg pork shoulder (boneless) which I've given a dry rub to. I'd have liked to put onion powder in it but couldn't find any :(

It's basically what DcD has said (probably slightly less as the quantities are hard to guage without a tablespoon) but with garlic powder added and smoked sweet paprika substituting one of the paprika tablespoons. It's going to sit in the fridge overnight and then I'm going to cook it low and slow all day and have some pulled pork with the NFL tomorrow night :D

Keep the suggestions coming!

Sorry, yeah, skin off. Trim a bit of the excess fat off too. Obviously the more fat, the more flavour in the juices you re-add, but... depends if you want to bit at least slightly healthy.

:( I could have got the butcher to do that for me... Oh well at least the majority of the meat will have been in the rub overnight.

Although in the other thread I was told to leave it on :confused:

Well I took it off just now having had the 1.5kg boneless shoulder joint in the fridge in your recipe overnight DcD (although 25% of the paprika I changed to sweet smoked paprika and added a tablespoon of garlic granules). It has been in the slow cooker for 5 mins and will remain there until half time in the 49ers game tonight so about ten hours.

I used a jar of Big J's BBQ sauce (having read a few bottles and seen a few BBQ sauce recipies I went for this one as it was the only one which used liquid hickory smoke and had all the right ingredients) and put the pork on a bed of onions- sliced two up finely but ended up removing about one onion's worth in the end.

Really excited about how this will turn out.

I just ate this, put it in the cooker before work, now stuffed to the gills, could not eat another thing, amazing. Thanks!

I've done it again and got it in the fridge waiting to be put in to the slow cooker tomorrow morning.

This time I've put the right amount of sugar in having taken some out last time, put a bit less cumin, a bit more sweet smoked paprika, onion granules, garlic granules (tempted to put some ground cinnamon in too but didn't).

DcD for MoH 2013 to be honest.

Got 2x500g diced chuck steak as well for a chilli and also going to do a stew/curry (undecided which atm).

Slow Cooker ftw! :D

Making pulled pork again today, makes an amazing Sunday dinner with lots of leftovers for lunches.

That chorizo stew is on the cards next weekend. :)

Nice. Made pulled pork again on Saturday and it was delicious. Got three freezer bags of it so can have some this week and for the Superbowl and some other time :D

Had a bash at slow cooked beef (chuck steak) curry. Pretty good actually, but I'm thinking of renaming my slow cooker "Pulled Pork Machine" :p

Trying something different today:

BBQ pulled chuck steak. Same technique as pork (so DcD's but with the smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder) but less cayenne this time. It's going to be cooking all day while I'm out. Then I'll serve it up tonight.

As I posted on another thread;

Carolina Pulled pork.

Dry rub a pork shoulder in;

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 handful brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
8 tablespoons paprika

Stick it in the slow cooker, then add a mixture of;
Half a cup of tomato ketchup
A generous helping of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
1/2 handful brown sugar
Mild chilli flakes
A small amount of hickory liquid smoke, if you can get it.

Leave for minimum 8 hours on low, when done drain the liquid, remove the meat, shred to the fibres with two forks and then readd some of the juices to make it more succulent.

Server in buns with 'slaw.

WIN.

This needs to be a sticky

Back
Top Bottom