So I should get shot of Norton and ....

Associate
I have been having a looky around from what you guys say I should get shot of Norton!

So should I should replace with

AVG, Spybot and windows Firewall and would this would give me far better protection than Norton ?

My system boots are taking an age would this be because of Norton ?

Any Advice much appreciated

Associate
OP
Thanks for that rickyt I will have a look at those programs...the most annoying thing is I only just bought Norton Internet Security 2007 last week !

But if it is slowing things down etc I would sooner get shot!

Associate
OP
thanks SideWinder...SO AVG or NOD32 both are good as each other ?

Also this might sound daft I dont know but ...I have 2 firewalls on my Modem Router NAT and SPI how do these work and do I need to use another firewall with these?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the info I think I will give nod32 a try out see how I go but one thing is for sure Norton is going in the Bin!

One thing I just wanted to ask is on my Modem router box it says it has Double Firewalls
NAT and SPl are these both hardware firewalls ???sorry if that sounds a dumb question this just confused me:

buachille said:
your router includes a nat firewall which blocks uncommon ports (internet gateways) and it does not work on your machine. it doesn't affect your machines performance but it can affect its ability to access the net. this is a very good thing, but if you play online games or use certain programs you will need to open the appropriate ports (more on portforward.com or google).

your software firewall (you say sp1 so you are on about the windows firewall - why don't you have sp2 and a decent firewall??), is very useful as it can block incoming and outgoing traffic and tell you exactly what it is doing.

regards

Associate
OP
just downloaded the 30 day trial of nod32, Spybot and norton uninstall program and I will use windows Firewall...will install in the morning and let you kknow what I think.

I am hoping that things speed up and it is Norton slowing my system down at startup.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom