So I tried to change a tap...

Soldato
No, no floods of water, no emergency plumber callout. Sorry. But I would appreciate the advice of a plumber.

The kitchen sink tap in my kitchen prevents the kitchen window from opening fully (it opens inwards). Imagine my joy when I found that you can now get folding taps.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081HG7TSN

So I ordered one and it duly arrived. So I set to work this afternoon. No problems turning the water off, clearing the area, etc. But when it came to remove the old tap the securing mechanism is jammed *right behind* the copper pipes. So I couldn't undo it without possibly damaging the copper pipes. Grrr... Whoever put it in was an utter idiot. So I put everything back together and stopped for a think and a cup of tea.

Hopefully I'll be able to take the whole sink off and attack it directly from behind. Getting the current tap out without breaking any of the copper pipe attached to it is going to be interesting - I don't want to break anything in case the hose on the new tap isn't quite long enough - it looks to be close. But that's for when I have daylight.

Is my plan good? And what should I use to extend the hoses or the existing pipes? Are these appropriate for the latter:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-bs...ression-rigid-trv-extension-piece-100mm/599hf

(Yes, I know that I'm not working with a radiator, but it's still copper pipes.)

Here's a pic after I put everything back together

W8uRV3o.jpg

You can just see the copper piping to the tap on the top left. The level of the join of the pipes is just above the blue tab visible in the U bend.

Soldato
OP
As above, tap wrench/basin wrench.

I have a tap wrench, though not telescopic. I can't get it onto the fitting behind the pipes because it's tight against them and I have no visibility.

You're thinking too hard about this.

Quite possibly.

Just cut the copper tails. install new tap and connect with flexible hoses.

I think I'd prefer the security of something that screws onto the tap's hoses and also onto the pipework.

Can you get a photo looking up from the bottom of the cabinet?

I've tried and not produced anything usable.

How are the taps joined to the copper?

The copper goes straight up into the tap, as best I can see. It's soldered segments all the way down to screw fittings at about the level of the blue tab (one above, one below).

Soldato
OP
What is the distance between the tap base and the top fitting on the pipes, if it less than 300mm you could just use some flexible tails.

The included tap tails are 500mm and possibly not long enough. I've ordered a 1000mm set which should arrive tomorrow.

Remove the tap using a box spanner

It's this bit where I failed. I have a box spanner but the retaining bolt is jammed right against the pipes so I couldn't get the spanner on. And because the tap is so close to the wall the range of motion is very limited. I gave the sink an experimental lift and it won't budge so taking that assembly off isn't happening. I may have to be destructive and remove the copper pipes first but I don't want to do so unless I have to.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is quite a simple job

Excellent!

You'll need a tap spanner/wrench set as noted above

Got one of those! I've had a good feel around and it seems that the retaining bolt is hollow and I could possibly use an allen key to get the existing one off. That should save me from having to cut the copper tubes.

Not a problem as there are already isolating valves.

Soldato
OP
Also I took all the waste pipe out so I had more room to get to everything, which will help it whatever you decide to try

Oh yes. I did that in my first investigation. Anyway, I'm waiting on the parts suggested (car has a puncture, getting repaired tomorrow).

Soldato
OP
I think I better provide an update. I managed to get the nut off with the help of a screwdriver. Lifting the tap I found that the copper pipes were fitted with compression fittings which had siezed and could not be undone. So I cut them with a hacksaw. The new tap went in smoothly. No leaks, no nothing. It's a bit of embuggeration that it's right-handed only as the spout sits on the left and doesn't reach that far over my basin which is on the right. You can fit the spigot on the left but you have to push the lever instead of pull and I didn't have room. I've written to the manufacturer to point out this issue to them, suggesting 180 degrees of motion instead of 90.

And it does the job of folding down so I can fully open and thus clean the window.

Back
Top Bottom