• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So is a Intel GPU worth it yet?

Soldato
Just wondering when it will be worth getting a Intel GPU, I am listening to a video, but he mentions places to buy & I know that is a no no here.

Associate
They are better than they were and most benchmarks put the a770 above the AMD 7600/xt, the a770 is also cheaper. So it is at least worth a consideration.

That said there is still issues with drivers, it's not very good on star field for instant, but it is improving all the time.

Gamers nexus have recently put out a video benchmarking with the latest drivers.

It will still get better, as more and more drivers are released, and you will have to take this into account if going for intel.

Soldato
Just a matter of time - but currently still considerably behind the competition. They need to be more competitive with pricing too.

Last edited:
Associate
Eh? That doesn't make any sense, are we talking about equivalent cards?
Presumably a770 vs 7900XT(/X) vs 4080 super....They're equivalent, right? :D

It's trading blows with 6600XT at 1080 and 1440p, while costing a fair chunk more (at OCUK prices):

Soldato
OP
Presumably a770 vs 7900XT(/X) vs 4080 super....They're equivalent, right? :D

It's trading blows with 6600XT at 1080 and 1440p, while costing a fair chunk more (at OCUK prices):
Odd, it is the opposite in the US.

Associate
Odd, it is the opposite in the US.
In fairness, it does improve slightly at 4k vs the competition (although worth remembering that those performance figures are for the 16GB version, which is ~ 50% more £, I've not looked at US pricing).
Add to that, that the performance tier isn't exactly suited to 4k...

Really though, I (and presumably Tetras) was more confused at where the $800-1000 estimates for AMD/NV were coming from.

There were also other issues, which I don't know how far they've got with resolving, such as very poor performance (or just flat out not working!) with older games, as well as losing a considerable amount of performance if resizable BAR is not enabled (and I'm not sure whether b450 boards support it).

In any case, if you're looking for a card in that price range I think the best bet overall would be a 6600 (or 6650-6700)XT
If you've still got the 3060ti listed in your sig, stick with that until at least the next gen!

As a direct answer to your question it the thread title, I would say no, but it would be great if battlemage (Intel's next gen) puts in a good showing as that could make them a compelling option (if they can continue to improve at the rate they have this gen) :)

Associate
As a direct answer to your question it the thread title, I would say no, but it would be great if battlemage (Intel's next gen) puts in a good showing as that could make them a compelling option (if they can continue to improve at the rate they have this gen) :)
That's the one, Battlemage. I think it might be worth revisiting the Intel GPUs once this is out.

Associate
Yeah we've all gotta cross our fingers for Battlemage really, AMD and nV have definitely sat on their hands this time round (to varying degrees), offering very little over their last gen products at most price points.
Intel should definitely have deep enough pockets to push for a chunk of the market*, it's just whether they have the appetite to do so that remains to be seen (IMO)

*either through RnD budget, agressive retail pricing, or even (as they did with CPU) incentivising OEM/SI partners to put them in systems

Caporegime
At a price anything is worth it, so at its current price, no, not when you can get a 4060 for £10 more or an RX 7600 for £20 less, both of which are mature stable GPU's of similar performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom