So I've been posting on these forums for 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Give or take a month or two, I can't remember the exact date. :) And before anyone points out my Join date, there was a big Forum nuke in October 2002 :p

Thought I'd reminisce a little and post things that have changed in that time... I apologise in advance for any mistakes, I've only just realised it has been ten years, so this reminiscing is "as I type". :)

Computer hardware.
The "must have" CPU of the day was the AMD 1.4GHz "Thunderbird".
Coupled with 512MB of RAM - an amount considered more than ample! - and a GFX card such as a GeForce4 Ti4400 and you were considered to own a machine of pwnage!
If you owned a TFT you were considered pretentious, and extravagant. :)

Internet Connectivity.

ADSL and Cable were just beginning mass roll out.
Waiting for 2months+ to have your line connected, and ritually saying goodbye to your 56k modem was a joyous occasion. Many took time off work to enjoy the "lag free" gaming. Well, I did. :p
Wikipedia had just been launched was almost barren of information. You actually had to search for your information and references yourself :p
Google was the "new and hip" way to search the web. Yahoo still dominated search stats.
MSN Messenger was firmly the "must use" IM.

Gaming
Counterstrike was the "must play" game on-line.
CS1.3 had just been released, and caused quite a stir.
Q3 and UT were still going strong, but CS really dominated the online community.
Battlefield 1942 was yet to be released.
WoW was un-heard of.

Politics (well, what I can remember of them from then)
Labour were of course still in charge, a year after they were re-elected, lead by Tony Blair.
Apparently the economy was "booming", some voiced concern, but were largely ignored.

No wars to really speak of.
Some concern over China and North Korea, but nothing out of the ordinary. The World Trade Centre still standing at this point, of course.

The Media
"Chavs" were the up-and-coming hate-fad.
That and the soon-to-be-broadcast "Pop Idol". :(

These Forums
Characters like MindYerBeak, 2Blue4u, EyeDot, LostKat, Balddog etc in the "LNSA".
Animated (and bigger) sigs allowed.
Guns as avatars.

Me
I was a very different person 10 years ago.
I'd not long had myself a job in a large multi-national company, still filled with hope and determination (that was soon after destroyed by the same company) to succeed in life.
Angry. Angry a lot of the time. Very cocky, too.
Relatively care-free.

If anyone else wants to post memories, please do :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There was another nuke/hack in March 2001 so you may have predated that.

I have vague memories of DJ_Jestar (the OP) posting some huge long thread about about a night out that involved spending hundreds in a strip club and taking one back to a hotel or something, amongst other shenanigans, it was a good read and I can't even remember if it was supposed to be fiction or not.

It's possible I may have him confused with somebody else but I normally have an exceptional memory for trivial details like this.

No, that was me in early 2004 and unfortunately not fiction :o

Caporegime
OP
Was that picture the reason for her permaban in the end?!

I too remember eyedot and the purple TVR, Fox buying a Xantia and then spending seemingly my entire university career looking for a 530 :p

My biggest "was it really that long ago?" moment is looking back to Half Life 2. I loved the first, and was waiting impatiently for the second. The IT guys supervising the network in my uni halls had so many requests that they unblocked the relevant ports on the switch so that everyone could validate their copy in order to play.

2004. Seven whole years ago this month. Cripes!

No, though I suspect it didn't help. There was a long stirring undertone to the reasons that Piggymon (and others) were banned. It's Probably a topic best left lying tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom