• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So just how are AMD going to shoot themselves in the foot with the NAVI launch?

bru

bru

Soldato
Well with their track record, I think we can all see it happening, but the question is just how are AMD going to mess this up?

My money would be on pushing the chips too hard, past the efficiency sweet spot, wrecking the power consumption in the process and lets throw in a really naff blower cooler as well.

Any thoughts on just how AMD will manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with their upcoming Navi GPU's?

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
I think they will launch them with hugely inflated prices and a selling point based on a shiny new technology which no games will support for at least 6 months, and the few games that we do eventually see will be mildly disappointing.
:p

Hmmm that feeling of deja vu, it just works.:D

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Funny how AdoredTV gets ripped apart when the Navi rumours were favourable and is now given credence when the Navi rumours are negative.

It is daft because in the Navi thread he is being trashed for talking Billy.
But it does just go to show how much we all want to right about how we think the chips will fall so to speak.
Only a few more weeks and then we can see just what AMD plan to bring to the market, let us hope the CPU arena is as good as rumours seem to say it is and that the GPU side of things is better than the latest rumours.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
^^ oh yes

Since all of the rumours have gotten out of control and now contradictory, I'm going to state my personal hype train as where I'm coming in and what I'm waiting for. We'll see how disappointed I end up in a month or two:

For my new rig, I want a Navi card to trade punches with the RTX 2070, to do so with a single 8-pin power connector and to cost no more than £300. And a waterblock.
For my other half's new rig, I'd be happy with existing Vega 56 performance for no more than £250.

I'm about to sort through all my old rat blankets so I can make a start getting hankies for me to cry into when Navi doesn't meet those modest, 2019 expectations.
Well your wants are not to outlandish, so I reckon you will get two out of three, not sure which one will be a let down for you though.
Well at least I hope it is only two out of three and not worse.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Well the latest rumour has the pricing at $499 and $399 respectively for the RX3080 and RX 3070.

AMD Navi RX 3080 & 3070 Leak, RTX 2070 & 2060 Rivals at $499, $399 – Announcement Due May 27

https://wccftech.com/amd-navi-rx-3080-3070-performance-prices-leak-beat-2070-at-499-2060-at-399/

Which converts to £470 with VAT and £378 with VAT respectively.
when you look at the RTX2070 founders edition at $599/£549 that doesn't seem quite so bad, but then there is the reality that you can buy a 2070 here on this very store for£420.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £419.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Was the Sapphire rep talking US dollars or Singaporean dollars? Am I confusing multiple things in my head, or was this Sapphire rep in/from Singapore when he made the claims?

Because Singaporean dollars changes the game: $499 - 7% sales tax is about £265

That's a good point, could be.
Not long to go now and we will see whatbis what.

bru

bru

Soldato
OP
Well I just watched the Computex keynote and I must say I'm impressed so far.

I would love to say/moan that they haven't reached clock speeds with Ryzen 3 or that the core names against the TDP's were not as expected. The Navi info didn't really tell us much more than we already knew and the benchmarks shown didn't really show us anything at all.
But really, they didn't do anything wrong, it was a good teaser for what is to come and now we have a date to know when it will hit the shelves.

Of course they can still end up with their foot in their mouth, but so far it all looks good. So congratulations AMD. I look forward to the new GPU's and CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom