So OcUK have stopped selling OCZ PSU's?!

Associate
I noticed this today, I found it odd as they're definitely quality PSUs. My 600w Powerstream has taken everything I threw at it, and they have the advantage of adjustable pots.

Soldato
Hefner said:
That's odd.

Got a 420w powerstream, which is fantastic.
Its funny that when you buy other components you go for speed or overclockability and some are faster/cheeper/more OCable than others but PSU either work or they dont. Dont get me wrong, ive always bought good PSUs but for me they either work with my rig, or they dont.

Man of Honour
pegasus1 said:
Its funny that when you buy other components you go for speed or overclockability and some are faster/cheeper/more OCable than others but PSU either work or they dont. Dont get me wrong, ive always bought good PSUs but for me they either work with my rig, or they dont.

There can be a huge difference between PSU's: modular cables (tidy case), adjustable lines (helps overclocking) or simple efficiency (able to achieve stated wattage).

Soldato
Hades said:
There can be a huge difference between PSU's: modular cables (tidy case), adjustable lines (helps overclocking) or simple efficiency (able to achieve stated wattage).
But at the end of the day they either work or go bang, we all know that the right Opty can hit 3gig or some value Ram can push to 260FSB but for me im currently using Seasonics and Enermaxs, they work so im happy.
PSUs are like mice or keybourds, they cant be modded or OCed but you get what you pay for and they either work, or not.

Associate
OP
pegasus1 said:
But at the end of the day they either work or go bang, we all know that the right Opty can hit 3gig or some value Ram can push to 260FSB but for me im currently using Seasonics and Enermaxs, they work so im happy.
PSUs are like mice or keybourds, they cant be modded or OCed but you get what you pay for and they either work, or not.

Yes but you have good quality and bad quality PSU's, for instance the stability of the rails under load etc. Which has an impact on the rest of your system OCing or not. Its kind of like having a good or bad heart ;)

Soldato
mysticsniper said:
I think what's even more shocking is that there still selling the Q-Tec PSU's :eek: ;)
Ha ha ha, never had one but was stood in ******s one day when an assistant was singing there praises to some gormless bloke, "600W PSU for £30 mate, its a bargain".

Soldato
A good quality psu definately helps, when i first put this pc together for uni about a year and a half ago i bought a cheap 480w Thermaltake purepower butterfly and i soon found that to get any stability out of it i had to run the fan at max - which was LOUD - and if i turned it down as low as it could go then my pc crashed - just wasn't up to it ...
Have bought an Enermax Liberty 500w recently and seen no such problems :)

Soldato
TheOtherOption said:
A good quality psu definately helps, when i first put this pc together for uni about a year and a half ago i bought a cheap 480w Thermaltake purepower butterfly and i soon found that to get any stability out of it i had to run the fan at max - which was LOUD - and if i turned it down as low as it could go then my pc crashed - just wasn't up to it ...
Have bought an Enermax Liberty 500w recently and seen no such problems :)
I bought a seasonic just before the new enermax's came out ( i have an enermax in another rig).

Man of Honour
mysticsniper said:
I think what's even more shocking is that there still selling the Q-Tec PSU's :eek: ;)

For the average user there will be nothing wrong with Q-Tek, in the same way that many people run generic PSUs in their PCs for years without any issues whatsoever. For someone who is overclocking of course then a higher quality(and almost certainly more expensive) PSU in a necessity but for running a PC at stock then it becomes slightly less important :)

Back
Top Bottom