So we bought a house.....

Soldato
OP
Tiles are on and grouted, its been a busy few months and still a few little jobs to do in the kitchen but its finished for this year.
2013-11-16%2016.14.35.jpg

2013-11-16%2016.14.38.jpg

We have also decorated the living room and changed the curtains (the lovely blue velvet ones are in the bin!) its feeling much more like home now its had a coat of paint.

Cavity wall insulation is being installed on friday so have been manically pulling wall plugs from the outside back wall of the house, 45 plugs in all!! And thats not including the cable clips. Just got to fill all the holes now and jobs done.

Poor quality phone pics I will crack out the proper camera soon and get some better shots.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really nice work so far, kitchen looks great.

Boiler looks a lot better in a cabinet and the pipes boxed in. Is it ok to put a boiler in a cabinet? I thought it might need be be ventilated? Looks so much better though, i'll probably do that myself if I can find a similar looking cabinet to our Focus kitchen.

Soldato
OP
The cupboard has no bottom and top, the left side of the cupboard is only hooked on the wall via a small bracket, the right side takes most of the weight through three 4inch screws through the extra side panel and into the wall. the extra side panel (decor end) is screwed to the wall as well. Its a shame the boiler was not on the other wall just to keep it all looking the same way around but 99% of the time you don't even notice the difference.

Soldato
Natural Hessian is nice colour I have a room painted all in that. I also had a **** poor plasterer in last year to re-plaster the main bedroom and the work is shoddy DIY attempt. It has put me off having any more plastering done as the old is better condition.

Nice kitchen. :)

Soldato
OP
Mark A, its carbon coated polystyrene beads that's then sprayed with a glue to make it stick to everything, as Nightglow said it's fine to use expanding foam in uniform cavities but for hard to treat cavities the have to use the poly beads.

You can really notice the difference that's for sure house is loads warmer already. I could not be happier as the master bedroom has 3 external walls and was getting rather cold!

Soldato
OP
Can you elaborate? I hope you got money off if he didn't do an acceptable job!

The walls are uneven in a corner that's very visible because of the colours of paint we have used, had it been magnolia all over you would not see the difference. As you go down the line of the corner it kicks out in a big bow then comes back in again. Not much but enough to be noticeable, and the same with the ceiling it's all uneven t the point one corner is 3 inches lower than the others.

Soldato
OP
The father in law and I decided it was time for a new fence on the right side of my garden.

It went from this
before.jpg

to this
after.jpg

Started work about 9am had to remove three posts as the old fence was a mish mash of off sized panels. Two more to remove but will do them next week once my shed has arrived and we can take down the old lean too conservatory.

Found a good use of some nasty velvet curtains whilst we were working :D

curtains.jpg

My new shed arrived on Wednesday so I decided to give the floor a good coat of old engine oil to stop it soaking up water and rotting double quick!
floor.jpg

Here is the rest of it waiting ready to go
Bits1.jpg
Bits2.jpg

Today the Father-in-law and I decided to brave the rain and put the beast together and trim away some of the trees at the back of the garden so as to sink it right back as far as possible.

Shedup.jpg

Shed is a 6x8 shiplap from http://www.TigerSheds.com its hand built and very sturdy, no movement what so ever. Time for some beers now!

Man of Honour
Nice work

I'm planning to rip out and replace my old kitchen next year, Is it best to tile the full floor first rather then fit the units then tile? I know when my dad did his he fit everything first then tiled the floor last

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Ive always tiled the floor last, bit of a waste of tile going right under where the units will go, they use a lot of the space :)

Soldato
OP
It was the same price for us to do the whole floor in vinal as it was to do only part of it. The joys of friends in the trade.

Soldato
OP
On tuesday my daughter and I decieded enough was enough and removed all the glass and flooring from the rotten old leantoo style conservatory. She is always happy to help!
carpet.jpg

And now after a hard mornings graft is looks a little better..
done.jpg

Just 14 months ago the garden was tiny and now it feels huge!
Before
d1460f45ca3d300bfff6591e8134687d6c5a10b4.jpg

After
huge.jpg

Soldato
OP
Update!

So today has seen much cutting and use of the new Angle Grinder (9inch none of that girly 4inch ****e!) The Dwarf walls for the new conservatory needed an extra 2-3 inches to sort out all the hights to each block had to be cut to fit. But its all done now and looks rather nice.

Walls.jpg

Goingup.jpg

The father-in-law and I hard at it.

Frame.jpg

As far as we could take it today without some ladders!

We also put in some new steps, one at the back door as we had to lift the door when we leveled the kitchen floor.
Step.jpg

and added a little step behind the driveway as the wife keeps falling down the single width step that was there before.
Driveway.jpg

Well thats all for this week, hoping to get the roof up on Friday afternoon as I have a half day (need to clean the window and guttering on the room above first its filthy!).

Back
Top Bottom