So we bought a house.....

Soldato
OP
Saturday again after a weekend off last week (as I had a day out with my kids and the Wife had a day at the football with her dad) all the windows went in along with the suspended floor, also managed to get most of the expanding foam in the gap around the lower door frame, and a good portion of it is still stuck to my fingers, god I hate that stuff! All the doors have been hung just need to get some replacement hinge pins as two have gone AWOL.

Sunday night after work I decided to get some of the floor down and the basic wiring done before putting up the drywall, managed to find a job the Wife could do with out complaining too much!

Windowsin.jpg

joists.jpg

Due to the height of the patio door on the back of the house we were restricted as to what height the floor could be so only able to install 3x2 joists on there side, plenty of old bricks lying around to make beds for them though :) (the bricks came from the walls in the kitchen that came down last year!)

lauraworking.jpg

Finally found The Wife a job she is good at other than cleaning and making the tea, cutting the insulation to go in the floor.

floorgoingdown.jpg

Using waterproof chipboard for the floor as it will stop any moisture come coming up through the old concrete slab. (should be any but better to be safe than sorry!)

Soldato
OP
Three weeks ago we dry lined the walls and now just need to cut the window ledge to fit around the top.

Attacked the pond the weekend before last, whilst i had the assistance of my two kids :) managed to catch 27 fish and place them in a temporary home ( 3ft deep paddling pool) drained the pond completely and scrubbed all the algi growth from the pond liner (its a shell pond so solid plastic). I have also rebuilt the waterfall as it had fallen apart and looked naff, just need to cement it all together (need to buy some more sand) and install a new pump.

Pond.jpg

Anyone recommend a decent pump/filter/UV combo pump? Pond is 3000ltrs so would need to be man enough to deal with that much water.

I intend to get some plants for it at some point just not sure what!

The father-in-law also came over and built some steps up to the end doors on the conservatory.

The wife started stripping the wallpaper from the living room 4 layers of the stuff! Going to get both rooms skimmed at the same time, better for the plasterer that way.

Paper.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Today saw the steps get some slabs to top them off, a large delivery of plasterboard and plaster, and the horrendous brick cladding from the chimney breast in the living room be removed, making the room feel huge! (a couple of other small things were done as well) A day well spent getting things done!

Chimney breast before
Before.jpg

And after.
after.jpg

Its amazing how 5 inches extra space has made so much difference to the room, in size and how much brighter it is in there.

Soldato
OP
Right so I have been a busy bunny up until Xmas, between working a crazy amount of overtime and getting the house sorted I haven't had much time to put some pictures up so here you go!

Panoramic of the living room from the patio doors

2015-01-04%2015.19.41.jpg

and from the front entrance

2015-01-04%2015.20.22.jpg

and the conservatory double doors.

2015-01-04%2015.18.03.jpg

Still some bits to finish off, like the windowsill and doors need varnishing in the living room as well as a new light fitting (I've got it just not had time to put it up yet!), and the windowsill in the conservatory needs a good sand and paint as well as some new guttering (bits missing) and a coat or two of render, but it will get there soon enough.

We also bought new sofas and unit for the living room so the old sofa is now in the conservatory under the grey throws. Just waiting for Mrs Bigboy to make up her mind as to what is going on the walls.

The fire place will get a wood burner at some point but time and money ran away with me and xmas was coming so just boarded it over and stuck a baloon in there for the time being.

Oh and she has already started planning our next project...... the bedroom! I need a holiday first!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Time for a little update!

Just before I got my holiday we decided to rip the master bedroom apart and start again having it plastered before we go away so as to let it dry whilst were not there.

out.jpg

the old airing cupboard was in the corner of the room so that went.

leaving us with some rather annoying pipework...
pipes1.jpg

It turns out one of the pipes was a gas pipe.... oops cut straight through it with a pipe cutter before realizing, the wife went a little mental, but a friend who's a gas engineer quickly came round and sorted it.

pipe.jpg

Not much left of that, but some more copper to add to the growing bag to take to the scrap man one day when I get around to it!

The Plaster came and went and has done a very nice job fixing up some nasty walls.

Fresh.jpg
Fresh1.jpg
fresh2.jpg

Time for a little holiday in Marrakesh and 5 days of not breathing in the gust and dirt created whilst doing this room.

Were back and have been hard at it.

Front
after1.jpg

Back
after2.jpg

Corner
table.jpg

I had to give the wife a corner to get all her things out in as I have a whole office! (Got to Love a Man Cave)

We have also replace the nasty rotten wooden front door with a lovely shiny uPVC high security door. looking so much better now

frontdoor.jpg

That it for now until we get some more funds, but its looking like it will be me office being turned into a nursery in time for our first child. I'm trying to convince the wife that doing the hall stairs and landing at the same time is a good idea.... time will tell

Soldato
OP
Wow I can not believe its been 3 years nearly since I updated this thread...

So dropbox has had a fit and cannot link directly to images any more so here's a link to all the pics so far
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txytltevgxrfvh6/AABYaBWOIrtSiEguwajNRvSwa?dl=0

As we have been rather busy having My third child the house went on the back burner for a while and decided to attack the garden
It started out looking like this,

With the help of my wife and father in law we spent most of the spring and summer turning it in to a builders quarry

and generated three large piles of rubble and waste concrete (all the slabs were re used)

MY BEST FRIEND, three loads 9tons a pop he took away for me and I had to cart it all round in a wheel barrow!

After 10 Tons of top soil was dropped in back in august 2016 it now looks like this

Still need to get the conservatory rendered and now this low wall too

Grass was fed and airiated at the end of last year and is looking much stronger now.

This years project is the bathroom and spare bedroom/man cave! Planning is underway :D

Soldato
OP
I've been attacking the bathroom recently not much to say, installed a longer bath, big single vanity basin and back to wall toilet unit. Oh and levels the floor, turns out there was a 300mm dip in the floor, that was fun telling the pregnant wife she couldn't use the toilet over night :D

So the bathroom looked like this a little over a month ago....

Bathroom.jpg

IMG_20180310_WA0019.jpg

See that pipe coming down the wall? It was a gas pipe and I managed to crack it whilst removing the panel from the back wall :( all removed now as It wasnt needed.
IMG_20180318_WA0019.jpg

New ceiling up after re-wiring the shower (nice fat 10mm cable)
IMG_20180315_WA0008.jpg

and wired for the new mirror.
IMG_20180323_WA0002.jpg

Chase done for the showers cold feed

My first soldering job since I left collage 22 years ago, not too shabby if I do say so myself..

The original stopcock on the incoming water, completely ceased some one had installed a second tap over by the toilet thankfully.

IMG_20180415_WA0015.jpg

My Ebay bargain shower, Mira Sport Max with Airboost 10.8kw Retails at £260 got it for £180 boxed like new :D

IMG_20180422_WA0001.jpg

Thats it for today Got a couple of other bits to finish off then its all finished.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice transformation...looks like you need another storage cupboard for all the shampoos and toothbrushes!!!

Back
Top Bottom