So who's applied for 2012 olympics tickets?

Soldato
Me, have entered into the draw for opening ceremony tickets as they went on "sale" at midnight

£20.12 each

Fingers crossed as it's a draw and you don't get billed unless your appication is successful

Soldato
You can apply for 6 weeks - doesn't matter when you apply.

It's a bit of a joke IMHO...

As Visa are a major IOC sponser, if you want to buy tickets online (or, apparently, anything inside the Olympic Park with a card), it's Visa, Visa or Visa. No Visa card? No purchase.

Money for the tickets you get will be taken in the middle of May but you won't know which tickets you got until back end of June. So you might want to apply for more tickets to have more chance of seeing something "good" but you could get all of them and end up with a massive lump of cash dropping out of your bank account.

Soldato
That is a bit annoying. Can you sell them on for the same price you paid if you ended up with a load? I know touting is illegal and the are really cracking down on it, but what about selling unwanted tickets for the same price?

I live in Leyton and am considering renting my house out, so will probably buy tickets for myself, but if I end up renting the house will pass them on to whoever is in it.

Soldato
This Beeb Blog says there will be an official website for reselling spare tickets. However, you'll have paid for the tickets in May and the website isn't online till 2012 so you'll be out of pocket for quite a while.

Associate
Me, have entered into the draw for opening ceremony tickets as they went on "sale" at midnight

£20.12 each

Fingers crossed as it's a draw and you don't get billed unless your appication is successful

Wouldn't have expected them to be so cheap! I'm guessing these are your standard seats?

If it is open for 6 weeks I think I'll be applying for definate!

Associate
The men's football final is on my birthday, so I'll try and grab a few tickets for that. I suspect it will be one of the most oversubscribed events, so I'm not holding much hope though :-/

Associate
I got as far as the payment section and as I only have a Mastercard I cant buy tickets! Surely there has got to be something illegal about that?

Associate
Was wanting to apply for the mens 100m final but it's quite pricey

£725.00 - AA
£420.00 - A
£295.00 - B
£125.00 - C
£50.00 - D

Can't imagine the £50 seats will be any good. But you do get a few decent events for your money.

Men's Long Jump Victory Ceremony
Women's 400m Hurdles Round 1
Men's High Jump Qualifying Rounds - Groups A & B
Women's Triple Jump Final
Men's 100m Semifinals
Men's 10,000m Victory Ceremony
Men's 1500m Semifinals
Men's Hammer Throw Final
Women's 100m Victory Ceremony
Men's 400m Semifinals
Women's Marathon Victory Ceremony
Women's 400m Final
Women's Triple Jump Victory Ceremony
Men's 3000m Steeplechase Final
Women's 400m Victory Ceremony
Men's 100m Final

I've never been to a live athletics event before, someone convince me it's worth the dough.

Soldato
I've potentially spent a proverbial fortune, on only five sessions (so far :o). But I'm not a holiday person and the attending an Olympic games has been my dream since Barcelona '92. If I get the tickets I'm looking at £1300 bill. :eek:

Madness perhaps, but I'm a big athletics fan and you only live once, so I went for it.
I got as far as the payment section and as I only have a Mastercard I cant buy tickets! Surely there has got to be something illegal about that?

Welcome to the almost totalitarian world of corporate Olympics sponsorship. As much as I love the games this part of it disgusts me.

Soldato

Visa's statement (from the Beeb blog I linked to above):

"There are more than 100 million Visa cards in the UK, most of which are debit cards, so virtually every household has at least one Visa card.

"People who don't currently have a Visa debit or credit card and don't have time or don't want to apply for one are able to obtain a Visa prepaid card or a Visa virtual prepaid card to purchase Olympic and Paralympic Games tickets.

So, so stupid.

Soldato
Yes I agree this is a very cack handed setup.

I'm very interested in going. I've scoured the event list, and I've picked about 20 different tickets I'd be interested in, including; opening ceremony, athletics, beach volleyball, bmx, road race, cycling, gymnastics, swimming and table tennis. All either £20 or £50.

But as has been mentioned, to get the best chance of actually getting a ticket you have to apply for all possibilities. So for me and the missus that would be around £1k :eek:.

I understand that we can sell them back for the same price if we're lucky enough to get multiple tickets, but I bet that will be a ball ache PLUS we'd be down 1k for a whole year which we can't afford to do. So I'm not really sure what to do now.

I also think that the pricing for some of the less popular events is pretty steep. £20 to see some shooting/handball/water polo preliminaries is quite steep, and that's the cheapest tickets. I'd be surprised if they sold all the tickets, even considering they're small venues.

Soldato
I've put my name down for a mountain biking ticket. Should be nice spending the day in the countryside watching some good biking.

Associate
Money for the tickets you get will be taken in the middle of May but you won't know which tickets you got until back end of June.

Is this confirmed it's like this? Seems daft as they will potentially be taking many millions of pounds, only to then have to refund it all. I'm sure I read somewhere that you will find out what tickets you have prior to payment being taken, but not 100%.

The better way for this to work would be once you have applied, getting an email at the end of the 'sale' period telling you which ones you have been successful on and then payment is taken.

If they take the money first and you don't even know what tickets you are getting, then you are basically giving them your money for a month or two and then waiting for it to come back as no doubt only a small percentage of the tickets each person applies for will be actually be awarded to them.

Back
Top Bottom