• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Socket 1156 Vs 1366 future upgrades?

Associate
While I've been working out my first build. I've been looking closely at both the I7 and the newer I5's.

A major consideration for me is the ability to upgrade the CPU in a couple of years to keep pace with the demands of newer games/programs. I'm not looking to build a basic machine and my first stab at a system is closer to £2000 than the £700/800 most seem to opt for.

But one of the things that has had me scratching my head is the sockets 1156 and 1366. To my novice eye it looks like the 1366 socket is already being replaced by the 1156. Is that right?
I know the I7 920 is most peoples choice right now but in 2/3 years time will I find a shortage of newer 1366 socket CPU's?
I am not sure where I read it but I got the impression the next generation of Nvidea CPUs are set to use 1156 and if so is it foolish to build a system that has limited upgrade potential (except for replacing the board)?

Sorry if these questions are obvious for some people. But getting info like this will save my a few headaches down the road (its should also save me from spending roughly £1500 every 2 years with (removed)).

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom