• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Socket A Athlon, Athlon XP and Semprons Obsolete?

Soldato
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/medieval2totalwar/download.html?sid=6159550

Looks like Medieval 2: Total War requires SSE2 for the CPU. Never thought I'd see a 1.5 GHz Celeron beat an Athlon XP 3200+ but that day appears to have arrived.

Edit: Pardon me. I've seen a more recent developer announcement. The release version will only need SSE - not SSE2. Apparrentlly Athlon XPs will work, however at that stage of development there were still issues with Athlon XPs in multiplayer. Can't find an official link though...

Further Edit: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70318&page=3 - Someone from Creative Assembly posted the following:

Wow the forums are running hot with demo chat. I thought I better hurry up and address some of your concerns so you can relax and enjoy the weekend. As mentioned in the developer blogs the demo is a pre-beta build and since then the game has had over 2 months of polish and optimization. I am happy to inform you that:

• SSE2 is only required for the demo, the release version of the game will only require SSE.

• Most of the issues with the Athlon XP processor were fixed for the release version of the game, the single player game works fine but there are a few residual issues with multiplayer and as such we can’t officially support it.

• Regarding frame rate, considering there has been over 2 months of work on game optimization I think it’s safe to assume the frame rate in the release game will be better than the one seen in the demo.

I will be sure to keep up to date with the demo chat and try and address any additional issues requiring clarification.

Jason

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not quite - just not as fast as other CPUs.

The Skt As will trample the Celerons in other tasks and will do a good job right up to the 3GHz P4s... but beyond that, they need overclocking. A lot.

Saying that, I've got a XP2600 with a 9800Pro and it will have a good crack at D3/Q4/HL2 and anything else that's pertinent. Bar X3 - which makes it suffer in agony.

Could you or anybody else tell the difference between a newly installed SKtA and SKt939 single core system just used for emails/office work? Considering the most popular resolution in the known universe is 1024x768, closely followed by 800x600, I'd even hazard a guess that - on average - they wouldn't be too shabby for gaming, either.

Cutting edge, however? Hell no.

Soldato
OP
I guess this shows it's at least possible that a game will appear that requires SSE2, rather than just being enhanced by its presence. At the moment unless you want to run the M2:TW demo, you'll be fine. If you don't have SSE2 it just won't work at all.

Back
Top Bottom