Sofas from Next

Soldato
Soldato
Five years in, I'd still recommend Westbridge. I bought a two seater sofa, an armchair, and a footstool for £600. The sofas were an M&S design in a Next fabric. They're showing some signs of wear in places but should be fine for another 3+ years yet I reckon, which ain't bad for the price. Probably longer with a change of cushion covers.

Soldato
OP
I went into Next last weekend with the thought that I wanted to take one more quick look and test of the sofa in the OP - But the visit clouded my view a little because I saw another sofa with the Boucle Weave that I have my eye on and it was fraying quite badly at the edges.

Obviously, these demo sofas in store get used and abused, but I wonder how it would happen in the first place. Does anyone know a reason why it would fray at the edges like I saw?

Caporegime
I work in a sofa factory and can confirm that the same models go out to many different shops and end up with different names too.

I've never seen the exact same sofa's M&S have anywhere else. I must have looked at 10 different places when I bought mine. All the regular big names that are usually mentioned.

They are made in the same factory but different designs and specs.

Soldato
OP
One last quick question - I think I’m set on ordering this sofa from Next - is there any worth in me going down to the store and trying to haggle the price? Or is that a useless endeavour?

I was going to order online - but if people have had success haggling, I’d rather pop down there and give it a try :p

Associate
I purchased their Darwin leather sofa a few months back and so far, so good. I don't think you would be able to haggle on the price tbh.

Soldato
We have this exact sofa, in the same fabric. We also have the two/three seater and the footstool. We've had them just over two years now and they still look like new. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old, so they've seen all sorts.

I would say they are good quality and I would likely buy again. The quality isn't quite of the John Lewis sofa we had before, but equally they were a fair bit cheaper than the modern JL equivalent. Next sofas were the only ones we found that got near JL in terms of quality. All the rest like SCS and DFS were dire, I'm not sure what their long term quality would be but they weren't even comfortable to sit on in the first place.

As mentioned above, this fabric comes with the stain guard on which has worked pretty well. Liquid just beads on the surface and any time we've had to wash a cover they've come out absolutely fine.

Look out for cashback and discount codes when ordering online, we were able to get money off with both.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
There's a tendency with some of the fabrics/sofas for the fabric to become a little loose fitting and crease/pucker. So keep an eye out for this.

Soldato
They’re great sofas. I’ve got some in a few rooms and they hold up really well. Kids jump over them and not had an issue in the last 3 or so years.

Caporegime
One last quick question - I think I’m set on ordering this sofa from Next - is there any worth in me going down to the store and trying to haggle the price? Or is that a useless endeavour?

I was going to order online - but if people have had success haggling, I’d rather pop down there and give it a try :p

You can't haggle at next. There aren't any salesman there. It's all just normal staff. Maybe get something off if you were buying ex display but that is it.

Soldato
I bought a Duresta- cost a load but it’s bloody solid and beautifully put together - just hope to god I don’t need to replace it within the next 5 gajillion years.

Associate
I purchased their Darwin leather sofa a few months back and so far, so good. I don't think you would be able to haggle on the price tbh.
Hi, I've just had a mare with JL sofas and getting a refund - thinking of buying the Darwin as I like that it's fixed and sprung - is it wearing well? Thanks

Associate
Westbridge (Stoke On Trent) manufacture for both Next and Marks. Their showroom prices are 50% of the RRP. I bought an almost identical sofa to the OP, for £800. They are just down the road from me.

Back
Top Bottom