Software: Controlling PC in a Training Room?

Associate
Hi All,

The last time I looked into this area, it was all hardware based. But things must have moved on :)

I have an IT training suite with 20 workstations. I want a software solution, so that I can take control of the PC's and show whats on my screen.

It would also be good to take control on the users, PC when they don't understand something and take them through it.

What the current software solution for this.????? Easy of setup and use is always a good selling point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
It's unfortunate the teamviewer website makes it look like some awful commercial software, when infact it's actually rather good.

Associate
OP
It's unfortunate the teamviewer website makes it look like some awful commercial software, when infact it's actually rather good.

I have worked out how to install the software on a host machine and set up a group. But unclear on how to connect to the other 18 PC's?

It looks like you have to add each machines ID each time. This might be a problem as 5-10 year old will be using them :(

Is there an easy way?

or is VNC easier?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
In teamviewer you can add (like I have in the partner list there) all the different IDs and then use quick connect. The IDs are unique to each PC and don't change.

Associate
OP
In teamviewer you can add (like I have in the partner list there) all the different IDs and then use quick connect. The IDs are unique to each PC and don't change.

So if I run the scaled down client software on each PC, the ID will never change and I can just create a group and add each ID then?

an you quick connect a group or do I have to do each ID separately?

Thanks again

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I think so, I've not really tried with the scaled down version though but it should remain the same.. try rebooting a couple of times and see.

You have to quick connect to each ID separately. I think. Teamviewer does give you the option to reverse the connection (again, not sure about with the scaled down version) so other people can see your screen though.

Sounds like you might need something else though.

Associate
OP
Lanschool

we have starting using this in the school i work at and its fantastic

http://www.lanschool.com/

simple to install
can monitor all the pcs in a room
control them
limit apps
limit net access
disable usb ports

and much more

There is a free version but i am not sure what has been disabled in it.

What sort of price is the school paying for that??/

I just been referred to

http://www.netop.com/products/education/school.htm

I'll try both when back on-site next week.

Thanks all

Associate
i don't remember of the top of my head

2k maybe for a site licence.

but you can buy licences for individual classrooms not sure on the price tho sorry.

never tried net op.

if you search for classroom management software you will find quite a bit of software that will fit your needs.

Last edited:
Don
in this case, I reckon vnc might be the best for it..

install tightvnc server on all the client pc's

download realvnc on your machine, and use the client for that comes with that (best combo I've used)

Associate
OP
Can I get each client to connect automatically or get the main machine to connect to all the clients automatically
In one go?

If these clients are set up via the local admin account, will they work for each user account that signs into the clients PC?

Thanks for all the tips and guidance.

Svan

Don
tightvnc can be installed as a service

so on your pc, you just open the viewer, type in the 'computername' and the password set for that computer (might as well keep them all the same) and you'll have remote control -the user can interact too

because it's a service, it'll work from the logon screen, doesn't need a user logged in

Associate
tightvnc can be installed as a service

so on your pc, you just open the viewer, type in the 'computername' and the password set for that computer (might as well keep them all the same) and you'll have remote control -the user can interact too

because it's a service, it'll work from the logon screen, doesn't need a user logged in

Ultravnc will do the same. I've not used the versions past 1.2 though as I didn't have the time/inclination to figure out what is wrong with the later versions.

Soldato
NetSupport School is designed for that sort of task.

REAL TIME INSTRUCTION (SHOW MODE)

* Show the Tutor's screen to selected Students.
* Show a specific desktop to selected Students.
* Show just a selected application to selected Students.

VIEW STUDENT SCREENS IN REAL-TIME (MONITOR MODE)

* Monitor the entire class in a single view.

CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT

* Power On or Off all classroom computers from the Teacher PC.
* Perform a Remote "Log off" on all PCs.
* Send a Remote "Log in" to all Student PCs at the beginning of class.
* Blank Student Screens to gain attention.
* Lock the Student's Mouse and Keyboard when instructing.
* Automatically re-connect to Students PCs on Reboot.

Soldato

Just been toying around with that, and the free version of that is brilliant.

I think we may start using that inside the company for tech support.

Do you know if it works cross platform? I.e. can the windows viewer see a Mac machine?

Back
Top Bottom