Software developer/engineer typical interview

Associate
Hi all,

I have recently got in to software development as a sort of hobbie. Initially I thought for a career change but now I am thinking that is a little ambitious as I am a little late to the game (27).

But this got me thinking. What is involved in a typical job interview for a software developer ? Is it a problem based interview ? I appreciate it might be varied but I literally have no idea of the industry or what is involved so be gentle with me :)

Associate
OP
27 is definitely not too late, I have been developing on and off since I was 26 and finally got a serious gig 30 months ago which has progressed to a much better job with great prospects, and I'm 36 now.

Great! This fills me with some hope! It is something I have always wanted to get in to but my job at the time was very demanding and I had trouble finding the time to lean, hence why it has been left for so long.

The biggest problem I have at the moment is I have never been in a situation where the thing I am learning is 100% self directed. I find resources such as wibit.net awesome because it provides me with a path to follow to learn I only wish I could find more resources like this!

If you don't mind me asking did you go to uni and study this sort of thing or was it just a sort of hobbie/interest like me?

Associate
OP
I suspect it is like most things and experience counts for a great deal. The challenge is getting your foot in the door so that you are able to gain this much needed experience. As soon as your are in that environment I would think it is easier to pick things up.

Is that interview process standard regardless of experience?

Associate
OP
Are you asking me? That is the interview process regardless of experience, as I said we interview a lot of candidates with a Math background. These people that don't know how to program even a single line of code in any language get the same questions (obviously skipping things like reviewing C++ code for me leaks) - if they are good at solving logical problems and understand concepts of complexity, scalability and the math behind things like optimization then they are in good standing to become great engineers.
Remember, the concept of programming actually comes form mathematical techniques. Algorithms like Dynamic Programming, linear Programming, MILP, etc. existed before computers were invented, the programming refers to the technique, nothing to od with software.

Our company does not easily consider experience directly. Most candidates are recent graduates. Learning to program in a particular language and learning the necessary tools is easy. Being smart and good at solving problems, determined, hard working cannot be learned. We hire based on ability and potential, not the fact you sat in an office being bored for 10 years in a soulless software engineering job. The more experience you have the harder the interview process will be because the higher the expectations, and the higher the paycheck so the benefit has to be there.

Experience is really over appreciated. Someone with 1 year experience may be for more knowledgeable and have greater potential than someone who did the same stuff for 10 years who does not have the ability to learn new techniques.

Companies are interested in smart, adaptable, dynamic, hardworking, motivated people. people that can quickly solve problems, hit the road running, can learn new tools, techniques, software and languages on the go in order to best solve a problem. Experience doesn't add anything much to that.

Also a lot of the best programmers wont be so experienced because one they reach a certain experience level they tend to do things like create their own startup, move into more senior management or CTO type postilion. This is actually well known across industries, someone who has been doing the same job for 10 years may simply not be capable enough of progressing. The very talented smart ones will have moved on up the corporate ladder to new challenges. That is a generalization, some people love the job they are doing and aren't motivated to progress careers.

Thanks for the information D.P! I think I am trying to run before I can walk to be honest. I need to do a lot more learning before I need to start worrying about these things.

Although I don't have a maths background as such (my background is biochemistry) problem solving is one of the reasons I started playing around in the first place. Maybe I am not cut out for it, who knows, but while I enjoy it I will carry on playing :)

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom