Software development books/resources

Soldato
Hi all,

I know there's hundreds of resources out there for each language but i'm after some decent resources on the best practices for building a piece of software, (does this have a name).

As well as learning Python and looking at Android dev I am now involved in helping create a piece of software for work and it would greatly help if I could get into the mind of the woman in charge and now what kind of things they require and they need to consider.

For me you can't go wrong with Pluralsight. There are a number of really good videos on there covering pretty much the entire spectrum of software development and management.

But I guess it comes down to how you learn best? If you are more a book/online video type then pluralsight is great. If not then maybe a training course/ online webinar is best for you.

There is a free 10 day trial available with pluralsight so give it a whirl. There are other online training solutions out there like Lynda, cbt nuggets etc. But I personally don't have any experience with those.

If you are looking at trying to do agile/scrum development then this is a great video to get you started: (although its geared at TFS2012 it's great for the theory of project management as a starter for 10)

Last edited:
"Code complete" is the best one I've come across so far. The author refers to the process as "construction" which seems a reasonable term.

It's relatively language agnostic and unusually coherent.

As much as it is nice to have a good textbook on a subject software development changes so quickly text books date very quickly and because of this you pay a premium. So for a particular language/framework I would suggest the official site would offer the most up to date information. If you are looking for general principles (eg networking/operating systems ) then there are definitely text books that would be useful.

Last edited:
The trouble with Google is that there's as much bad advice on the web as good advice.

In terms of books I'd recommend:
Code Complete
Clean Code
The Pragmatic Programmer
Working Effectively with Legacy Code (Everyone has to do this at some point in their career)

I agree with haircut there is lots of bad advice that comes via google. Although I don't know the books haircut suggests from the names I would guess these books are quite language agnostic so I can see the benefit in reading these, my only advice is don't spend fifty quid on a book about lang x version n as it usually out of date by the time it's published

Back
Top Bottom