Software Development,where should I start?

Associate
I want to get into software development, where should I start? I have no background in programming, only learnt a little Turbo Pascal in college. I don't mind which language to learn, whatever is the best? (The language will be used to develop for business programs on windows based OS in the future)

I want to get into software development, where should I start? I have no background in programming, only learnt a little Turbo Pascal in college. I don't mind which language to learn, whatever is the best? (The language will be used to develop for business programs on windows based OS in the future)

Really depends on what you're doing with it. If you just want to 'get it done', then look at C# for windows. For a bit of a deeper (better) view I'd start with C++. Higher level languages (Java/C#) come very quickly after that.

If it is business development, I would go for Java. I admit that I have not used C++ or C#, but from my experience companies prefer Java for its close integration with internet packages and cross compatibility.
As a beginner, it may be beneficial to consider a course, such as Open University's M255 Object Oriented Programming with Java & M256 Working with Java. These are both great courses to get you into OO programming. Warning, they are level 2 courses and have end of course exams.

I would go with C#.

Download Visual C# Express for desktop stuff, or Visual Web Developer Express for websites.

These reason I would go for this is it so easy and not at all daunting to get up and running and c# is a great language.

Really depends on what you're doing with it. If you just want to 'get it done', then look at C# for windows. For a bit of a deeper (better) view I'd start with C++. Higher level languages (Java/C#) come very quickly after that.

If it is business development, I would go for Java. I admit that I have not used C++ or C#, but from my experience companies prefer Java for its close integration with internet packages and cross compatibility.
As a beginner, it may be beneficial to consider a course, such as Open University's M255 Object Oriented Programming with Java & M256 Working with Java. These are both great courses to get you into OO programming. Warning, they are level 2 courses and have end of course exams.

I would go with C#.

Download Visual C# Express for desktop stuff, or Visual Web Developer Express for websites.

These reason I would go for this is it so easy and not at all daunting to get up and running and c# is a great language.

Great posts! Thanks a lot guys, this is exactly what I needed :)

Another vote for C# here. Once you pick up one language though, you'll find it's much easier to learn others so don't worry about picking one particular too much. That said, from a beginners point of view, taking current trends and your requirements in to account, C# would be a good one to start on though.

I'm a 'python' fan myself. Comes with easily accessable libraries for most tasks you are likely to handle, has various 'extended' versions for diffrent development types, and has a fairly simple syntax.

Worth taking a peek at even if you decide to learn something else, I feel it is a good beginner level language.

I don't know the C variations or Java but from what I have seen of scripts written in C I found harder to follow the logic and I personally find Java this.that.theother style difficult to follow.

Others may disagree, my advice would be see if you can't get hold of a copy of each language do a few basic tutorials and decide what you feel most happy with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom