Software for fan profile and software for overclocking 1156

Soldato
For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to put together a build based on Socket 1156 and an i7 860, to see how it holds up, as everyone prefers it's way hotter younger sister, Sandybridge. I bought a cheapo, unbranded Chinese motherboard for it which was a mistake in many ways:
- No temperature monitoring or fan settings in the BIOS. The PWM CPU fan spins at 100% all the time.
- No FSB (well, QDI) clock speed changing despite being the P55 chipset
- RAM is locked to 1,333MHz despite supporting 1,600MHz
- CPU doesn't seem to use Turbo

Anyway I would like to firstly set a fan profile. I've tried with Speed Fan but it's a bit rubbish - set the desired temp at 45c and warning at 75c; at 44c the fans are at the minimum I set of 25% and at 46c the fans are at 100%.

I've also tried CPU Tweaker but this won't let me change the BLK.

Any software recommendations? It can be old software as this is an old PC!

Soldato
You may be out of luck for the overclocking, but someone might know a software solution.

For Speedfan, I find the initial fan config very fiddly but once it works it works nicely. Do you have your fan control channel set to on/off or similar?

In the settings menu, in the tab where you select fan control chips (drop-down at the top should reference several including motherboard, graphics card, hard drive sensors etc). Select your chip and you should find settings in a table including each individual fan channel.

These channels can usually be set to things like "on/off", "Smart" and "PWM guardian" or something. Try changing that setting for the fan channel, then make sure you select "remember it!". Also try changing to voltage control if PWM doesn't work.

Go into the main screen for Speedfan and turn off automatic fan control then fiddle with PWM values. If it modifies fan speed it worked. If you still have issues it could be the curve or it could be your PWM ranges. The other settings tabs also have min and max values, alarm values, etc. You'll need to go through each one to make sure one isn't set to 45°.

Associate
https://www.argusmonitor.com/en/index.php

Recommended this by someone else on these forums recently, really good and can set fans a lower speeds than bios or some other fan control software will allow. 30 day free trial so worth a try to see if it works with that older build. I have 3 different types of fans all tuned to virtually silent at idle for work purposes using this.

Back
Top Bottom