Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I'm not sure why its set to 400, other systems are set to 600, and I think the installers just install how they want. The panels on my roof are about 300mm front the gable edge on one roof, and about 200mm, maybe a little less on the other, and thats on a two storey house, with no houses next door to that side.

MCS state it should have a 300mm clearance from all edges I believe, but it doesn't always happen from what I gather. Along as they still issue the certificate and it's a safe install, I wouldn't be concerned.

Interesting, just came up with this - bare in mind this is parts only, no installation, also no real idea of what's needed and what's not, or lengths of cables, and there's no fixing frame work included either.

Not sure if the optimisers are required although the roof does get some shading late afternoon, which will be worse in winter months.

This would be in addition to our existing 4kw solar array.

Easy-PV-Self-Quote.jpg

Although this is more palatable

Easy-PV-Self-Quote-1inv-2-5kw-battery.jpg

Shouldn't you be using the hybrid inverters if you're intending to charge from both solar and cheap rate? It will add another £300-£400 or so per inverter.

@casper_uk I think it's related to wind loading, but it's certainly not happened on our install, and we've had some very strong winds in the last seven years.since they were installed and they've been fine so far.

@94JDH I'm not entirely sure, I'm still waiting for actual installer's to come back with quotes. The garage roof will suffer shading in the late afternoon, this will be worse in the winter and better in the summer, hence the use of Soleredge and optimisers, the same as our existing house roof install.

The planned array is for a detached double garage, we have an existing array on the house, I thought we'd have to use a separate inverter charger to use the power from both arrays to charge the batteries. Though I suppose we could have one battery in the house, and another in the garage.

I'm going to post on an electricians forum I found which appears to have a very active solar PV forum and see what they say.

That's the big question with the batteries, isn't it?

The panels, you can be pretty sure you'll get a return on your investment at some point. But the batteries - are they going to save you enough money over their useful life to outweigh how much they cost in the first place?

How long does a LiFePO4 Battery last and/or the whole system, ten years or possibly twice that ?
That's the big question with the batteries, isn't it?

The panels, you can be pretty sure you'll get a return on your investment at some point. But the batteries - are they going to save you enough money over their useful life to outweigh how much they cost in the first place?

Think this will help you answer that question.....watch all the vid!.

Seems to be saying worst case in a lab test is 4 years but wouldnt be close to normal as actual house usage gives more like 13 to 22 years and even then its degraded capacity still working, thats the wear from cycle usage alone. I'll presume 20 is reasonable outcome

Anyone done solar together, I was emailed by Tunbridge Wells council to say they are starting a scheme.

Just had another email from them to say they are going with Home Smart Energy and the package they propose is

Your offer is made up of the following:
Complete solar panel system
£4,055

• Roof survey
  • Installation
  • 8 panels
  • Inverter
  • Materials and fittings
  • Monitoring tool
  • Extended warranties
  • Insurance-backed guarantee
With battery
£2,387

• Battery storage
  • Battery inverter
  • Installation
  • All cabling and mounting materials
  • In-home monitoring
  • Guarantees and warranties
  • Onsite survey (if advised by installer)
Price seems ok to me but they want £150 before 13th May without even coming out to see site with the caveat *Subject to installer capacity.

Anyone done solar together, I was emailed by Tunbridge Wells council to say they are starting a scheme.

Just had another email from them to say they are going with Home Smart Energy and the package they propose is

Your offer is made up of the following:
Complete solar panel system
£4,055

• Roof survey
  • Installation
  • 8 panels
  • Inverter
  • Materials and fittings
  • Monitoring tool
  • Extended warranties
  • Insurance-backed guarantee
With battery
£2,387

• Battery storage
  • Battery inverter
  • Installation
  • All cabling and mounting materials
  • In-home monitoring
  • Guarantees and warranties
  • Onsite survey (if advised by installer)
Price seems ok to me but they want £150 before 13th May without even coming out to see site with the caveat *Subject to installer capacity.

Price could be very good - presuming say 350w ish panel and 5kwh type battery. What are the terms re the £150 if you’re not happy with what they offer when you get the full spec? I’d guess it likely that you will be able to wiggle your way out if need be so a free option worth exploring.

Back
Top Bottom