Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Hmm sounds strange to me but I'll take your word for it! :)

Admittedly I know nothing about how flexiorb operates. Maybe they have their own g98/99 application process?

Here don't take my word for it :

But it's the lack of g99 that I'm concerned about I guess you'd still need one?

You can, so e energy suppliers do recognise and accept the Flexiorb registration, that I'm confident of.
only 5 companies currently recognise flexi - orb. The best export payer Octopus doesnt currently

only 5 companies currently recognise flexi - orb. The best export payer Octopus doesnt currently

That I'm ok with to be honest.

We have not even bothered doing an export tarrif yet at all, Mrs is hesitate to get a smart meter, I'm slowly bringing her around, plus export tarrifs have been ****, but I think it is something we will do, I'm just at more concerned about not having an install that someone from the power network is going to turn up on our door with some horrible notice and hefty fine lol.

That I'm ok with to be honest.

We have not even bothered doing an export tarrif yet at all, Mrs is hesitate to get a smart meter, I'm slowly bringing her around, plus export tarrifs have been ****, but I think it is something we will do, I'm just at more concerned about not having an install that someone from the power network is going to turn up on our door with some horrible notice and hefty fine lol.
have you looked through the documents your installer sent you, it may be in there...because even a 3.6kwh inverter needs a letter of approval, just not an application approval for fitting

Last edited:
Just looking through flexiorb further:

Third paragraph from bottom states:

DNOs are rarely informed of EESS being connected to the grid – which could put a strain on the network. Registration would help DNOs manage the network. Flexi-Orb will track all this and automatically complete the G98 or G99 DNO notification.

It would suggest if your install is registered through that they do the G99 for you. On the flexiorb certificate I have it does state the system intalled power of 4.5kw (5kw inverter 4.5kw of panels) and provides the serial number etc of our electricity meter. So I am guessing going by that it is all actually legit.

Another thing I have now seen is with the flexiorb registration we were also given a CPA insurance certificate.

Possibly worrying over nothing then.

The problem is these days I have NIL trust for any tradesmen of this type, unfortunately, and the salesman for our installer is a bit of a wideboy and claims to know little about how it actually all works in the background but is adament they are all "legit" and that it is his brother that sorts all of that stuff out - and its exactly that attitude that never fills you with confidence. To be fair to the guy he could sell sand to the Arabs though.

Just looking through flexiorb further:

Third paragraph from bottom states:

DNOs are rarely informed of EESS being connected to the grid – which could put a strain on the network. Registration would help DNOs manage the network. Flexi-Orb will track all this and automatically complete the G98 or G99 DNO notification.

It would suggest if your install is registered through that they do the G99 for you. On the flexiorb certificate I have it does state the system intalled power of 4.5kw (5kw inverter 4.5kw of panels) and provides the serial number etc of our electricity meter. So I am guessing going by that it is all actually legit.

Another thing I have now seen is with the flexiorb registration we were also given a CPA insurance certificate.

Possibly worrying over nothing then.

The problem is these days I have NIL trust for any tradesmen of this type, unfortunately, and the salesman for our installer is a bit of a wideboy and claims to know little about how it actually all works in the background but is adament they are all "legit" and that it is his brother that sorts all of that stuff out - and its exactly that attitude that never fills you with confidence. To be fair to the guy he could sell sand to the Arabs though.
you just need to chase the letter from the dno then with flexi-orb....because as we said, if you ever want to get paid for export, you would need that letter

you just need to chase the letter from the dno then with flexi-orb....because as we said, if you ever want to get paid for export, you would need that letter

Yup, going to bug the Mrs and get a smart meter installed so it can all be setup.

It looks like it'll have to be 6.4p/p kwh with British Gas as the best one to go with.

I'd definitely push along the lines of "doing nothing isn't OK" though, because they've essentially sold you more panels than you need to efficiently use the system across the year.

The extra panels will only help in the winter really. In the spring/summer/autumn they almost may as well not exist.
I've found something pretty damning on their behalf.
Our signed proposal states annual production of 5598kWh and yet the schematic of the system left by the electrician shows only 4514kWh.
I've sent pics of both to the sales rep and ops manager.

Just installed an extra battery taking us to 12.25kW now, which will just about cover an average day's usage for us and allows us to do off-peak charging in the winter to run off.

I wanted this much capacity originally but was a bit paranoid about all of that weight in the loft. Hopefully it wont cave in! :)

Does anyone know if, in the solax cloud monitoring page, I can see the actual amount of power stored in my battery, rather than just the percentage?

Back
Top Bottom