Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

That quote really shows just how bad the one I got was, I'd happily pay that for that system. Do you mind sharing who the company is, just in case they cover this far over?

Your legally allowed to export up to 3.6KW, they can't stop you, if the local network isn't up to it then they have to upgrade it, at least that's what I read on another forum.

That seems possible a quote from Effective Home LTD in Doncaster - I looked at a similar one originally but wouldn't install on a flat roof.

Your legally allowed to export up to 3.6KW, they can't stop you, if the local network isn't up to it then they have to upgrade it, at least that's what I read on another forum.

Yeah I think where mine is a 5KW inverter and the system is above 3.6KW unless you limit export somehow, I'd need the DNO application sorted.

I could have gone for a slightly smaller system and a 3.6KW inverter, but if they think they can put more panels on the roof, then should take advantage of it really, and the bigger inverter should, in theory, give better battery throughput etc.

Great to hear you finally got there. The quotes being posted on here show how much some companies are taking the biscuit. The company is solar powerful based out of Clanfield.

Thanks dude, they seem to have given the best quote out of those I asked, was some alternatives but at the end of the day, if it's installed well it should be much of a muchness.

For anyone interested these were the 5 quotes I had in total, went with top 1 as previously posted.

Some were pre 0% VAT so I've adjusted them in the brackets assuming I didn't get it piled back onto me.

Quite a bit of variance so good to shop about, last one in particular was weirdly more expensive than any others by a long shot.

4.4KW (12 x 370 JA Panels)
Givenergy 8.2KWH Battery
Givenergy 5KW Inverter
£8250 0% VAT

4KW 10 x 400W JA Panels
Sunsynk 5.12KWH Battery
Sunsynk 3.6KW Inverter
£8343 0% VAT

4.4KW 11 x 390W Trina Panels
Givenergy 8.2KWH Battery
Givenergy 5KW Inverter
£9492 5% VAT (£9040 0% VAT)

4KW 10 x 390W Trina Panels
Givenergy 8.2KWH Battery
Givenergy 3.6KW Inverter
£9629 5% VAT (£9170 0% VAT)

3.6KW 9 x 400W Jinko Panels
Givenergy 5.2KWH Battery
Solis 3.6KW Inverter
£10994 5% VAT (£10470 0% VAT)

Why are companies favouring a single inverter over micro inverters? Everything I read said an inverter per panel is more efficient.

So batteries are deffo on the 0% vat now?

Based on my understanding - If you buy with panels yes, if you buy battery alone nope.

Why are companies favouring a single inverter over micro inverters? Everything I read said an inverter per panel is more efficient.

I think it's because that adds a fair bit of cost on the install, and in most cases I am not sure it's that different to the end user.

Is this solaredge thing? that seemed much better if you have shading or other issues where the group of panels aren't working in unison.

The side benefit of something like that is I think the panels are safer, considering you can't just turn off a bunch of panels easily, they are effectively live as they are getting sunlight on them.

So batteries are deffo on the 0% vat now?

Ever since the 5% vat for solar panel installation came in batteries have also been 5%, but only when purchased with solar panels, now its 5% but still the same applies now its 0%, they must be purchased as part of a solar panel installation. IIRC if you purchase as a DIY install then you have to pay 20% VAT.

First I have heard of this. Sounds interesting.

I have power optimisers and a separate inverter, which is sort of half way between individual inverter per panel and a separate single inverter. One problem with having a single inverter per panel is reliability, if you had 16 panels and therefore 16 inverters on the roof, there's a lot more chance of something failing, and being on the roof its difficult to change. You still have an increased risk of failures with optimisers, but much less chance of a failure than having multiple inverters, as the optimisers have less work to do, but still the benefits associated with multiple inverters. When you have a string of panels, and one inverter, then if one panel is shaded it will bring down the power produced by all panels in that string - note that shading could be a tree, a chimney, a flue or a seagull, or even that seagull dumping its load. Our system is a Solar Edge, but I believe others do optimisers as well. I can clearly see on my charts when something has landed on a single panel - I would post a picture but don't seem to be able to access the site at the moment.

Ever since the 5% vat for solar panel installation came in batteries have also been 5%, but only when purchased with solar panels, now its 5% but still the same applies now its 0%, they must be purchased as part of a solar panel installation. IIRC if you purchase as a DIY install then you have to pay 20% VAT.

Looks like i may be buying an extra panel then :D

It certainly is a minefield, I originally looked at batteries only - then thought what happens if the night rate does disappear - it hasn't all these years but you never know.
Dynamic pricing is more likely, so certain systems (like givenergy) will potentially do that through certain suppliers as far as I know.
My conclusion was solar and good battery size, it's less risky and extra benefit if the weather is good!

Edit: for reference I range between 6500 to 9000kW per year.

Great advice and input, thanks. Looking for similar if not identical set up as similar usage as yourself. Would appreciate knowing what less times you have been quoted and if possible company that you have gone with. Kind regards

....note that shading could be a tree, a chimney, a flue or a seagull, or even that seagull dumping its load. Our system is a Solar Edge, but I believe others do optimisers as well. I can clearly see on my charts when something has landed on a single panel - I would post a picture but don't seem to be able to access the site at the moment.

Here's that picture, it shows the output from the 8 panels on one roof, this roof is south west facing, and has the boiler flue which causes shading on panel 1.0.9, and panel 1.0.10.

The first big sudden down dip is probably due to a bird landing on the panel, the next line that dips is due to the flue shading panel 9, then as the sun moves round the flue shades both 9 & 10, then just panel 10.Then there looks like another bird, or two and finally the stepping off at the end is due to the ridge on the other roof progressively shading the panels.

With out optimisers all panels in that string will have reduced output.

Solar-Arrray.jpg

Here's another from about a month earlier - just one bird strike all day.

Solar-23-03-22.jpg

We had a guy come round to give a quote from Solar Fast, which for a 6.1KW system (16 panels) and 7.2KW of battery was £14.8k. I'm glad we have these sort of threads to make comparisons! :)

I didn't particularly warm to the guy, he came over as the typical double glazing salesman type and after an hour of waffle, where I was losing the will to live, we hadn't even got to the price....and his maths was shocking, I kept having to correct him on so many figures he was talking about.

I wish I had read this thread in more detail first, as I didn't even ask about what the make of panels/inverter were. Anyway, since I'm in Lincs, I'll give TCL Solar a call since they've been mentioned positively a few times on here, especially by @dimension99

It's for a farm property, so there's domestic and farm consumption, which currently is about 8500 KWh / year but I'll be WFH there soon so I expect that'll go to about 10k / year. What size system would you think is suitable?

Back
Top Bottom