Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

This is a tangential question, but at some point I want to add power to my disconnected garage so I can put an EV charger (and whatever else I feel like adding) into it later on.

Any basic recommendations on what to run and anticipated cost of doing this?

I need to rip up the garden so would probably look at channelling it under the patio whilst that is being done, so probably running it in trunking or similar.

This is a tangential question, but at some point I want to add power to my disconnected garage so I can put an EV charger (and whatever else I feel like adding) into it later on.

Any basic recommendations on what to run and anticipated cost of doing this?

I need to rip up the garden so would probably look at channelling it under the patio whilst that is being done, so probably running it in trunking or similar.
Yes run two conduits to get data and power down there. Eg: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXKVR50.html to give yourself flexibility.
Some helpful points here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/laying-electrics-and-water-pipe-for-outbuilding.609582/

You can work out the appropiate SWA to run here: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html depending on load and distance.

I've just done garage power for family. I ran ~20m of 6mm SWA 3 core, with a 40amp MCB at the house end and then a BG garage consumer unit at the other end with a 40a type A RCD, then 32amp for charger (a 32amp ceeform), 20amp for sockets (radial) and 6amp for lighing. Clearly not much headroom when the car is charging (~8amps) but sufficient for them and the cost/convenience trade-off.

Terminating the cables and the CU is not really a DIY job - but if you run the conduits and pull the SWA through I'm sure most sparks would have no issue doing the rest.

Last edited:

Went live yesterday morning, really happy with the result. Didn’t switch on until 1030 and still produced 22kWh on a mixed day.

14 x 410 panels
6kw Solis hybrid
3 x 4.8 Pylontech batteries in heated cabinet with thermostatic control
Associated wiring/boards/switches

I managed to do the lot for 11k in the end. A little more than I predicted but very happy. Payback will be 4 years hopefully as we have two EVs.

Just working out how to get on the ocuk pvoutput.

Already tempted to put another 10 panels on the house south facing roof, ha!

Last edited:
Hey all, not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but will go ahead regardless!

My installers are applying for MCS accreditation, but don't get have it and may be some months away from final sign off due to a backlog.
Were they to install my system before this final sign off, I have conflicting views on whether any MCS certificate can be retrospectively given for their works completed previously (i.e potentially mine)

Any experts here?

Hey all, not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but will go ahead regardless!

My installers are applying for MCS accreditation, but don't get have it and may be some months away from final sign off due to a backlog.
Were they to install my system before this final sign off, I have conflicting views on whether any MCS certificate can be retrospectively given for their works completed previously (i.e potentially mine)

Any experts here?

Mcs website.

MCS cannot be given retrospectively and so not having MCS at the point of installation, may cause issues for your customers when they come to insure their homes.

Bit of insurance scaremongering but seems clear enough.

I know because I had a competitive quote from a company in the process of acquiring mcs.

I wouldn't say never, as I'm hoping the current situation will change, as it currently stands it is grossly unfair to people that have perfectly legal compliant systems, but can't get paid for export generation because they don't have an appropriate (pretty meaningless*) certificate.

There are other bodies such as Flexi-orb that can offer similar to MCS, but Octopus don't accept their certificates, so you currently stuck with energy providers that pay much less, or nothing if you don't have a certificate at all.

*Just because a company is MCS registered it doesn't mean its been installed correctly.

Last edited:
Does this mean that if Pickers gets installed he'll never be able to get export capability?
Well somebody here suggested contesting the need for an MCS certificate to export by companies like Octopus but that is too much hassle for me and I'm sure there will be rogue outfits offering retrospective certificates but as it stands it seems options are limited.

Went live yesterday morning, really happy with the result. Didn’t switch on until 1030 and still produced 22kWh on a mixed day.

14 x 410 panels
6kw Solis hybrid
3 x 4.8 Pylontech batteries in heated cabinet with thermostatic control
Associated wiring/boards/switches

I managed to do the lot for 11k in the end. A little more than I predicted but very happy. Payback will be 4 years hopefully as we have two EVs.

Just working out how to get on the ocuk pvoutput.

Already tempted to put another 10 panels on the house south facing roof, ha!
Did you self-install? Presume so for the money. That’s great.

Interested in the heated battery cabinet, I have 3 US3000c one of which has twice gone into fault for low temperature in the depth of winter. This is in a garage which is unheated but does have my boiler in it which inevitably boots out some heat above ambient. Solved so far with a piece of 12mm MDF on the most exposed face of the battery.

I can understand the need for something like MCS for people exporting with an old style meter. Wouldn't take much to fool it into mis-reading - so an accredited, trustworthy installer would be needed.

However, with a modern smart meter reading everything coming in and out - MCS seems little more than a scheme to make money. No doubt they'll be lobbying hard to ensure energy suppliers don't relax the requirement for their accreditation.

Last edited:
I can understand the need for something like MCS for people exporting with an old style meter. Wouldn't take much to fool it into mis-reading - so an accredited, trustworthy installer would be needed.

Not really, nothing to stop somebody fiddling an old meter after installation, energy companies just need to insist on a smart meter, which they do for time of use tariffs already.

MCS seems little more than a scheme to make money

It is exactly that, I've seen electrician's berate it on other forums, and apparently they are no use for disputes either.

No doubt they'll be lobbying hard to ensure energy suppliers DON'T relax the requirement for their accreditation.

I corrected that for you.

Regardless of how ridiculous the MCS system may be, I need one... Which is potentially an issue and I'm not sure how secure of a gamble going ahead before accreditation is.

@Pickers I think have three options,

1. Go ahead and hope they issue a certificate once accredited - entirely possible as they may just date it afterwards, you don't need me to explain the risks.
  2. Wait it out.
  3. Find another installer that is MCS registered.
You can do two and three at the same time, then make a decision on what quotes you get, but if you've already paid a deposit it will complicate things.

A year ago the lack of MCS was pretty much a non issue, given that we were getting paid 4 or 5p a unit, now rates have improved it has become a pretty big issue if you expect to export plenty of energy.

Last edited:
Did you self-install? Presume so for the money. That’s great.

Interested in the heated battery cabinet, I have 3 US3000c one of which has twice gone into fault for low temperature in the depth of winter. This is in a garage which is unheated but does have my boiler in it which inevitably boots out some heat above ambient. Solved so far with a piece of 12mm MDF on the most exposed face of the battery.

I fitted the panels, sparky did everything else :) got 0% VAT too as new install, helped with the price.

He has fitted a heated mat to foil insulation running off a thermostat.

Finally got around to getting our SEG tarrif setup, we are going with Scottish power as our certification (Flexiorb) isn't recognised by any of the higher ones.

They only pay 12p per kwh but better than nothing.

Still we exported 295 kwh so far since our smart meter went it in March this year, so thats what £35? better than a kick in the arse, and they will backdate it.

Back
Top Bottom