Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I got my tape measure out. With some slight movement we can get 7 x E and 7 X W + 1 x S. That gives me 15 so 5.5kw. I also have scope for 6 x S once an extension happens so the plan with for a 6 or maybe even 8kw SolarEdge inverter....pending successful DNO.

DNO options came back today..

"We have had a few options back from SSEN
Option 1 - Adopt a G100 Issue 2 Export Limitation Scheme – Install 14kW of generation as the total installed capacity but within this, set the Agreed Export Capacity to 3kW.
Option 2 - Network reinforcements/works required.
Option 3 - Cancel application
So, 1 it is"

So i'll be adding a 6kw SolarEdge inverter to my setup.

Most relevant to Octopus Go customers I think but seeing as most will watch / post here anyway

Good news: we’re doubling your export rate from 4.1p / kWh to 8p / kWh.

Time to turn the diverter back off again!

I'm on a FIT so need to calculate my export numbers to see if it's worth me moving. I think potentially next eyar with my new generation it will be beneficial.

Is the angle iron strong enough to stand on it?
That looks plenty solid enough. Bolt / screw into them the same way and method the roof uses. I guess the roof isn't strong enough to walk on so you'll need to consider that when you're fitting them.
Cheers chaps. It went through planning and I assume building regs would have covered its construction w.r.t snow loading etc. I might see if I can get a friendly out to have a glance over it; but it was built by a reputable firm still in business.

Is there a "master guide" on doing this myself? At least the knuckle-dragging end of it and then get my trusted sparks in? :D

My neighbour has just got a quote for a solar\battery system and bought it round to get my opinion, I think it looks OK but figured I'd get the opinion from here as well. It's an East\West array.

5.67 KW Solar 14 x Longi 405 watt panels
3.6 KW Sunsync inverter
7.1 KWh Pylontech battery

£12,495

Initially thought the inverter seemed a little underpowered, but as it's an East\West system maybe it is fine? Price seems OK by today's standards, more than I paid for my system, but I do think I got lucky, will mention bird mesh as the house is pretty close to mine!

I think a few people here have Sunsync and Pylontech systems, are they any good? I personally like GivEnergy due to the app (and of course the new 12 year warranty) but don't imagine my neighbour will be fiddling with the system too much but do they allow for things like scheduled overnight charging?

Any other thoughts?

My neighbour has just got a quote for a solar\battery system and bought it round to get my opinion, I think it looks OK but figured I'd get the opinion from here as well. It's an East\West array.

5.67 KW Solar 14 x Longi 405 watt panels
3.6 KW Sunsync inverter
7.1 KWh Pylontech battery

£12,495

Initially thought the inverter seemed a little underpowered, but as it's an East\West system maybe it is fine? Price seems OK by today's standards, more than I paid for my system, but I do think I got lucky, will mention bird mesh as the house is pretty close to mine!

I think a few people here have Sunsync and Pylontech systems, are they any good? I personally like GivEnergy due to the app (and of course the new 12 year warranty) but don't imagine my neighbour will be fiddling with the system too much but do they allow for things like scheduled overnight charging?

Any other thoughts?

Not too bad overall, maybe a little steep.
I paid £1.4k more but 12.3kwh battery, whole house EPS, bird netting and solar diverter included.

The inverter may well clip a bit mid summer around lunchtime, but it won't be for that long.
Some inverters will go over their listed though so worth checking the model.

Its the usual story though, install a 3.6 inverter and it by default means no need to apply for export as its at the guaranteed limit already.

The price difference between them is tiny for upgrade of a 3.6 to 5 so I would push for that personally.

Hello I'm looking to install solar PV for the first time. I'm in London and obtained several quotes. Most are high given the system and seem to have increased significantly since I got some quotes in 2021. Most quotes have been around £8K. Could you give me some advice on what is reasonable for the following:

6 Panel system (say 430w panels), 3KW inverter plus battery of around 5.8KW

What brands would you recommend? I've been quoted inverters and batteries for GivEnergy, Solax, Livoltek, Sun Synk, Growatt. Solar panel quoted include JA Solar, Longi, 833.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Hello I'm looking to install solar PV for the first time. I'm in London and obtained several quotes. Most are high given the system and seem to have increased significantly since I got some quotes in 2021. Most quotes have been around £8K. Could you give me some advice on what is reasonable for the following:

What brands would you recommend? I've been quoted inverters and batteries for GivEnergy, Solax, Livoltek, Sun Synk, Growatt. Solar panel quoted include JA Solar, Longi, 833.

8k for 6 panels, inverter and battery isn't too bad to be honest.

What’s the roof like? Orientation? Shading? Access?
Only 6 panels may disappoint.

Roof is SE pointing. No shading. Tiled roof (flat - Redland Mini Stonewold tiles). Easy access. Two storey. I have a solar thermal panel which has been excellent but will go to make room for PV. 6 panels allows them to comply with the 400 mm MCS requirement for edges.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom