Some very much beginners shots, advice appreciated.

Soldato
Hi guys, i've received my very own DSLR, the first SLR i've ever owned no less, for Christmas. I've dabbled with my dads middle-end film SLR in the past but never really had a chance to get stuck in and play. Naturally over the past two days i've played extensively, taken many terrible photos, learnt little but had a lot of fun in the process. I've picked a couple of the very few keepers out of the pack and was wondering if anyone could give any advice as to how to improve on my technique or how to improve these existing shots.

Nothing has been done to modify them in any way other than converted to JPEG and shrunk a little for web usage. I decided to shoot them in raw, which i imagine is overkill for a beginner such as myself, but i hate JPEG compression artefacts and i can easily convert them when i need to. The album can be found at:

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae155/streeteh/

Here's a sample, i know it's cliche but we've all got to start somewhere!

Candle.jpg

For those that are curious, it's a Sony A230, very mediocre compared to the kit many of you have i'm sure but i'm incredibly pleased with it. All photos were taken with the stock lens, i've also inherited a old 300mm sigma lens which i haven't had a chance to really get to grips with yet.

[EDIT] Bah, the background of the photo has been decimated somewhere in the conversion/uploading process but you get the point. The background was far less messy in the original.

Last edited:
Soldato
Welcome to the DSLR club! I quite like the candle photo but perhaps crop the left side so the candle is on the side?

I see your living in Uxbridge too! Same :( :p

Soldato
Hi guys, i've received my very own DSLR, the first SLR i've ever owned no less, for Christmas. I've dabbled with my dads middle-end film SLR in the past but never really had a chance to get stuck in and play. Naturally over the past two days i've played extensively, taken many terrible photos, learnt little but had a lot of fun in the process. I've picked a couple of the very few keepers out of the pack and was wondering if anyone could give any advice as to how to improve on my technique or how to improve these existing shots.

First I would suggest you learn how aperture, shutter speed and ISO can effect a picture. Shoot in manual mode and play with the settings, keep 2 the same and alter the 3rd, see what changing it does. Then try taking different types of photos with different settings, ie, moving cars while adjusting shutter speed.

Post some images and ask for honest feedback, DO NOT get offended unless someone is rude, then ignore them. Ask lots of questions and google a lot, their are lots of videos on Youtube for instance to help.

Nothing has been done to modify them in any way other than converted to JPEG and shrunk a little for web usage. I decided to shoot them in raw, which i imagine is overkill for a beginner such as myself, but i hate JPEG compression artefacts and i can easily convert them when i need to.

As far as I am concerned I think you should always shoot in RAW, only reason not to would be that you are very good and have confidence in your ability. I've taken some lovely shots only to find something wrong when in front of the PC. Using RAW allowed me to save the image. When shooting in RAW you will have to sharpen the image to get the most out of it. You will have to start learning some basic PP skills as well.

I'd suggest getting a Flickr account, I hear they are better than photobucket as they don't compress the images as much which effects quality.

I'd suggest you check out TalkPhotography, i've learnt a hell of a lot just reading the many threads there!

Have fun :)

Soldato
OP
Good idea Jesta, i'll give that a go. Uxbridge does indeed suck but i'll be out of here soon :D

Cheers for the thorough feedback AHarvey, i have indeed been playing with those settings but in a very slapdash manner, i like the idea of just playing with one to really get an idea of how it works. I'm not the type to get offended when it comes to constructive criticism tbh but i do appreciate the warning. I'll have a look at flikr because i am not at all happy with how much photobucket has compressed those photos, it's pretty terrible tbh.

Soldato
Something else you may find useful that's recommended on here quite a bit: A book called Understanding Exposure. I've been reading through it recently and it really does explain aperture, shutter speeds, ISO modes, f-stops etc perfectly and how each affect your shots.

Soldato
OP
Ok 13 year update; I spent some time learning how aperture, ISO and shutter work which was a huge boost, thanks for the advice, also learned a bit about focal lengths and got myself a fairly decent lens set. Moved to Hong Kong which it turns out (unsurprisingly) offers more photo opportunities than Uxbridge. Still plenty to learn!

avTXIHvh.jpg

BiFm0zlh.jpg

Soldato
OP
Hah, yes moved on a long way. My starter was an a230 (My dad was a minolta guy, so he pointed me toward Sony so I could borrow his lenses), then I got a hand-me-down A77, I'm now running with an old A7RII which is excellent.

Glass is super cheap out here in HK so managed to snag a few GM lenses at bargain basement prices, 16-35mm 2.8 was used for the first image and the 100-400 5.6 for the albatross.

Now I've looked closer at the OP I realize that I posted that when I was working an IT support role. Since posting that I really got into the technical side of photography, then got into Media teaching in Secondary Schools teaching far more creative people than myself how to operate cameras effectively.

I've taken the transferrable skills from that and now mainly teach cinematography in an international school in Hong Kong. Crazy; this thread was literally about two weeks into what ended up being my entire career, with the advice given leading me toward the technical bits I really enjoy.

Here's what we get up to (Created by a 17 year old), sincerely thanks to those who gave advice, I realize now this is literally the first time I got some serious pointers that led me here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xWLWfw3BLIJ6cZRu9rtBD_5xCYJV4TwZ/view?usp=sharing

Soldato
OP
Christ no; I value my liver too much for that.

Currently living at the back of Causeway Bay, right between Happy Valley and Tai Hang.

You live/d here at all?

Caporegime
Christ no; I value my liver too much for that.

Currently living at the back of Causeway Bay, right between Happy Valley and Tai Hang.

You live/d here at all?

I was born there, grew up there until secondary school. Not been back since 2019 now though. Still have family there but not sure when will be back next. I miss the food the most.

Soldato
OP
Oh excellent, I imagine it was a brilliant place to grow up. I had 6 months of normality before the protests but even then do really love it here. Currently teaching at Kellett School, where do you go as a nipper?

I won't discuss the current reaction to this Covid surge... shame as on the whole it had been very good until a month ago.

Caporegime
Oh excellent, I imagine it was a brilliant place to grow up. I had 6 months of normality before the protests but even then do really love it here. Currently teaching at Kellett School, where do you go as a nipper?

I won't discuss the current reaction to this Covid surge... shame as on the whole it had been very good until a month ago.

I grew up in the "sticks", north east side of NT. First in a village then into a housing estate in Fanling. I actually did about 6 weeks of committing as an 11yr old to secondary school in Tai Po before immigrating.

My memories of it isn't the city life you are experiencing due to location but I did like it as a child. Schools are very different, i remember the discipline being a high priority and grades a close second. I do recall the ranking of every kid in class and the morning and evening assembly.

Back
Top Bottom