Someone keyed my car!!

Associate
Hi all

Woke up to a deep key scratch along both nearside doors and a bit on the wing.

So I took it to some bodyshops todays and I'm getting wildly differing quotes.

One told me that the paint alone costs £600 and the job would be £1500

Another says just do the top half of the doors and the whole wing and it would look fine for £360

Someone else said they'll re spray the whole side for £400

What do I need to check with these guys because it's difficult to ascertain if they'll do a proper job.
I'm worried about them not applying enough clear coat so if I want to detail it in the future the clear coat will be very thin.

What are your thoughts, I've attached the photos

I'm based in Bournemouth if anyone knows a reliable person around here

https://www.e90post.com/forums/report.php?p=24397286

Just trying to figure out how to post attachments

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tJ2HE4pyfWUjqUnC8

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Welcome to the pleasure of having to go to anyone in "the trade" to get some work done. I hate it, from electricians, to builders, to car body places. You don't know who to trust, you get hilariously different prices and you get the distinct feeling they have literally invented a number to quote you.

Soldato
In other news, what a ****y, ****y thing to do. I genuinely would like to know the mindset of people who do this. Do they get some kind of strange gratification from doing it? Why? Did the owner of a black BMW 3 series once sleep with their girlfriend?

Associate
OP
In other news, what a ****y, ****y thing to do. I genuinely would like to know the mindset of people who do this. Do they get some kind of strange gratification from doing it? Why? Did the owner of a black BMW 3 series once sleep with their girlfriend?

Hahaha maybe!
I just don't get it either what do they personally benefit from doing this other than wasting a stranger's time and money!

Associate
OP
Welcome to the pleasure of having to go to anyone in "the trade" to get some work done. I hate it, from electricians, to builders, to car body places. You don't know who to trust, you get hilariously different prices and you get the distinct feeling they have literally invented a number to quote you.

That is exactly how I felt going around today, everyone had something negative to say about other repair garages. Just don't know what is bs and what is true

Associate
Maybe doesn't help but for a rough idea I had the side of my Astra VXR sprayed (some metallic black) about 10 years ago and it was £400. After being keyed.
Very good job and I certainly couldn't tell it had been sprayed.

Associate
Not in the Bournemouth area but if you're willing to drive half an hour to Southampton then I've used Mike Pritchard Motors Ltd before.

Few of my friends have used him, just a man and his dad in their bodyshop. They quoted a few hundred cheaper than everywhere else local to me and do excellent work.

PS - I'm not affiliated with them at all.

Don
One told me that the paint alone costs £600 and the job would be £1500

Another says just do the top half of the doors and the whole wing and it would look fine for £360

Someone else said they'll re spray the whole side for £400

From experience paint is a large part of the job cost, but generally the more work being done, the less of a factor (i.e. I was quoted £300 to have a front bumper repainted, but the additional cost to have the rear one done at the same time was only £150).

£400 for the whole side is certainly too cheap though.

Get a quote from Chipsaway or similar smart "touch up" repairer - likely to be around £500-£600 I would think.
For a body shop quote, 4 full panels being resprayed (as most "old-school" bodyshops will not "touch up"/"blend" areas) I would expect to be £800-£1000

Last edited:

I would guess they think they can do something which will really upset someone that they are jealous of because they own a nice car. They think, "I know, let's mess this up a bit because I can and I wont easily get caught". Cowardly scum.

Associate
Is it metallic/perlescent paint?

I think id want both doors painting on the upper half, blending with the existing on the lower/rear & clearcoating. Would expect that to be around £500 at a decent independent place.
The wing is near enough a smart repair job, but if the door needs blending & full clear with it then +£200 for that.

Associate
For recommendations check... facebook - you might have a local shop who post regular examples of their repairs online - always a good start in finding soneone who is proud of & stands behind quality work.

Associate
Get a quote from Chipsaway or similar "touch up" repairer - likely to be around £500-£600 I would think.
For a body shop quote, 4 full panels being resprayed (as most "old-school" bodyshops will not "touch up"/"blend" areas) I would expect to be £800-£1000
I would agree with this advise as a starting point. At least see if one of the mobile guys will have a go at it.

I once had a bit of a ding to a corner panel on the car which after a discussion and analysis from a mobile Chipsaway guy, he recommended I go to a "Chipsaway" franchised bodyshop in Reading (I think it was these guys). They did a superb job and I would absolutely recommend them. It was 1 panel and a bit of blending, totalled about £300 IIRC, there is no way to tell anything had been done to the car once he was finished, even if you were looking for it.

Also.... **** the ****s who do this **** to cars. They should be thrown in an active volcano.

Back
Top Bottom