somethings wrong...

Suspended
Lo all,

Bro-in-laws PC blew its PSU the other day and he ordered a Q-TEC 650W PSU because it was the cheapest OCUK do and its only powering a low-medium spec PC.

Ive installed the PSU into the case, attached the 2 leads to the mobo, 1 to the GFX, 2 HDD, 1 CDROM and 1 FDD. Ive attached the g/fs monitor, and his keyboard and mouse.

I switch it on and it powers fine, however, the monitor that is powered seperately from the case doesnt switch on. If i turn it on it, the LED shows power and then dies again. The monitor does work because im using it now.

Ive had the exact same problem last time i changed a PSU in a friends PC, and then it just started working.

Any advice on what could be causing the problems or things to try?

Thanks

Sounds like the PSU took the graphics card out. Often happens that components get killed because PSU's often voltage spike on death killing other components.

For future reference (although best acted on quickly) ... don't touch Q-Tec with a barge pole.

Year it does sound like the failure has done something to the gfx. Is there a way you can test this in a friends / another PC?

Last edited:
Yeah i know about Q-Tec being a bit of a time bomb but its just something to tide him over for a couple of months until he can get a new system.

However the g/fs PC has a NVidia Geforce FX 5200 and his is a GF 6800GT, i thought they were both AGP his GFX wont fit into her mobo. The connectors are the same size but hers has a break towards the rear of the case and his has a break towards the front of the case.

| || |Girlfriends
|_____||__________|

| || |Bro-in-laws
|__________||_____|

Ive got a couple of older AGP cards at home so ill have to pop home and try one of them in his case, if it works its the GFX card thats gone :(

Last edited:
The monitor your testing on is not a TFT by chance is it an the one it usally works on a CRT? Long shot but if thats the case the refresh rate maybe set wrong and causes the TFT to go out of frequncy range.

If thats the case just plug a 1/2 decent CRT monitor in and drop the refresh rate then change back to the TFT.

Probibly not the problem but you never know!

nah its a CRT for both PCs and the one im testing it on is better than the one it originally uses, however i will try it on my CRT upstairs to see if it helps!

Thanks for all the help, im going to try another GFX card to see if that helps, if not ill be back again :)

right, ive just tried his old GFX card and i have the same problem.

There is power getting to the card from the mobo as its fan is spinning (This one doesnt have psu connector), the mobo is providing power to the extra usb connectors on the back as the LEDs are lit up so it seems that the mobo is getting power. There are no beeps or alarms on startup.

Anyone any other ideas??

Mobo/CPU??

NEVER EVER buy a Q-Tec. I'm surprised OCUK are still selling them.
I won't even use them when building the cheapest office pc

It pains me when I see people buying them from computer fairs. They think they have a bargin when they spend £20 for a 600w psu. Then they laugh at me spending £100 on a seasonic. They think that because they are both 600w they're the same :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom