Somethingtodo's PSU roundup

Associate
jarrick said:
IF there's anyone still on this thread, I'm looking for a Psu and I'm down to a short list of: Enermax noisetaker 600w, Tagan tg580 U15 (modular) and the seasonic s12 silentpower 600w. I'm looking for the quietest, most reliable, overclocking friendly PSU which will have to power a sli 7800gtx watercooled rig (it aint got 2 cards yet but it will have at some point) Also, are they all good for powering Opterons?

What ever you do DON'T buy the Tagen, it is by far the noisyest of all 3 of them and I have had 3 out of 3 fail, the Seasonic is the creme de la creme by far the queitest of any powerfull PSU the Enermax is also OK but the Sea sonic is in another league.

Hope this helps prevent you from the misery I've had with Tagen PSU's :)

Associate
******- I was hoping the Tagen would be the one to get. Everyone was rating the 420w models as being pretty quiet. I suppose you've read what they've been saying about the seasonic at the top of the page -think there's any truth in it?

Associate
My Tagan's have all been VERY quiet. I have had one for my PC, and three other ones for my mates. Very happy with them. BUT.....

While my mates have not had any problems, as you can see by my signature, my Tagan is currently not in the PC. Over the two years of owning a Tagan I have had two failiures (Both documented in this thread). I am currently waiting for their UK Distributor to get a stock in and then they will be swapping my second dead unit for another new one.

I will still buy and use Tagan though. The quality of the PSU and the silence is well worth it. And this is extra noticable when the PSU fails and does not damage anything else in the system (unlike some cheapo PSUs I have dealt with). :)

So - great when they are working. :D

Update on Tagan Replacement. Interesting to note that the new replacement Tagan TG480-U01 that turned up before Xmas now has multiple sheilded video leads. It now has three sheilded leads to cover all graphics options. Two PCI-Express and one for AGP. Which is great for my AGP rig as that shielded cable causes a visible difference to by graphics quality.

Last edited:
Soldato
No interesting info, just a few notes.

I have never had a really good PSU.

I finally got the Ultra-X Conect which has been my best PSU, and so far, after some months of seriously hard work, its doing a brilliant job. I am a right plonker who likes to have lots of little HDs rather than a one big one, in my main box I am running a raptor 36 as C: ( Windows of course ), Seagate 80GB as D: ( Apps ), 2x160GB as E: ( Media ) and an 80GB as F: ( Junk ), plus I have 3xDVDRW, and a CDRW, and althoguh never used, I also have my Floppy & ZIP Drives, coupled with the GFX Card also taking power, and the only reason I did get this one, was simply that the ColorsIT simply wasnt able to run this PC reliably... In the NF7S & Barton it was just fine, even running it clocked as far as 2.9Ghz... Saying that, when I look att he facts, it started to get unreliable at 2.7, and this could actually be down to the PSU?

Anyway, I myself have not had a problem qith QTec PSUs... The higher of the range this is... I bought a 450w some years ago, perhaps 4 years? and I have now given that to a mate, who has it in his P4 and he loves it... I also have a couple of 500w QTecs and they are doing fine, again not in high end PCs but just mid-range Socket A boxes, and they are ok... Been there for some time and not had any problems.

One thing I will admit though, I am moving all my PCs to AMD64, and both Socket 754 and 939 systems, do struggle with cheap and nasty PSU's, so its really showing that QTec, Magna, and ColorsIT PSUs dont cut the mustard, even 650w ones unless its a really naff low end PC like a Sempron.

A MAte down the road has a Seasonic and he says its fantastic, however, he is running a Smepron 3000 so in my honest opinion, I think even a Mercury 300w would be just fine in his PC.

MY next move, is to splash out and get a high end OCZ to try out. The Ultra-X connect, has really stiff cables that are no good in my main PC ( MSI Neo2 Platinum ) and I have had to cable tie the cables up to stop them rubbing on the HSF ( AF-64 ), but other than that, its a good cooler. I will move this PSU into the DFI LanParty box.

Associate
Er..you can't mention or link to competitors mate. I'd take it off before one of the mods see it.

edit* oh, they did.:(

Read the faq as well. It's got all the regs in there.

Associate
:)
Wouldnt look past PCP%C 510-SLI for any SLI set up TBH - been rock solid for last 12 months (Altho OCUK dont stock them)

PCP&C 510 Deluxe SLI

Features:

• Superior High-Frequency Noise Suppression
• Line Conditioning and Longer Hold-Up Time
• Runs Cooler, More Power, and Longer Life
• Superior, Rock-Solid Voltage Stability
• Precision Control and System Fine Tuning
• SATA Connectors, Braided Harness, Etc.
• Superior Noise and Ripple Suppression
• Fail-Safe Protection / Quiet Operation

This is the SLI model.

:eek:

Soldato
Couple of additions here.

Couldnt decide on whether to get the OCZ Modstream, or an Antec true blue 480, so I got them both.

Will run them against the hiper and the Ultra-X as soon as I can.

Now, on to my second part of this post...

I have noticed today that the air coming from the Hiper is fairly warm... Ok, I know some of you are saying so what, but the thing is, that in this PC, before the Hiper, I had chucked in a Magna 650 ( Yeah I know, but its what I had spare ) and a ColorsIT ( Its getting worse isnt it? ) but both of those were stone cold.... This hiper is actually quite hot in comparison, and I am little concerned because I have not long bought it.

Is this normal?

Its under absolutely no load at all by the way.

Associate
Hi, I need some help as to which PSU to choose, i've managed to narrow it down to a choice of 2. It's either gonna be Seasonic S12 600W Silent or Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT. If anyone has any suggestions to which is the best one, or if they know of any others that are as good or better. Thanks.

Associate
JimmyShaker said:
Hi, I need some help as to which PSU to choose, i've managed to narrow it down to a choice of 2. It's either gonna be Seasonic S12 600W Silent or Enermax Liberty 620W ELT620AWT. If anyone has any suggestions to which is the best one, or if they know of any others that are as good or better. Thanks.

I think you've made 2 good choices, the S12 is the quietest but the Enermax is modular, both are VERY well made and have an excellent reputation, you will be very pleased with either I'm sure.

Associate
Hi, I also need some help with what size PSU I will need for a system with 6 (possibly 7 sata) drives. Ive looked at the takaman site but it needs a bit of an update.

specs are:
2 x seagate 80GB sata (mirrored boot)
4/5 x seagate 300GB sata hardware raid
1 x NEC dvd-rw
1 x Sony dvd-r
asus p4p800d
p4 2.4 o/c to 3.2
2 x 512M PC3200 mem
ati radion 9600 pro agp
antec sonata with stock 380w trupower.

might need a case upgrade as well, possibly to a P180 but i want to try to keep the sonata. thanks.

Edit: forgot dvd drives

Last edited:
Associate
FatRakoon said:
I have noticed today that the air coming from the Hiper is fairly warm... Ok, I know some of you are saying so what, but the thing is, that in this PC, before the Hiper, I had chucked in a Magna 650 ( Yeah I know, but its what I had spare ) and a ColorsIT ( Its getting worse isnt it? ) but both of those were stone cold.... This hiper is actually quite hot in comparison, and I am little concerned because I have not long bought it.
My 480W NeoPower is pretty warm too (can actually feel its warmth through the case!) so I'm guessing it's normal. I dread to think of the kind of heat 600W PSUs produce. All I can say is it can't be as efficient as it claims with this much heat lost... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Was going to get the OCZ Modstream 520W, but it seems to have disappeared off the site. Not really sure why.

I need a PSU that's good for gaming, and modular.

Nrrowed it down to :-

- Antec NeoHE 550W (Heard good things about Antec PSUs)
- Enermax Liberty 500W (Love the carry thing for all the connectors, and Enermax also have got some good reviews)
- Thermaltake Powerstation 520W (Bit bling but the whole setup looks quite good)

What are everybody's opinions? The "favourite" PSU make seems to change a lot on here :)

Associate
From the one's you have there I would go with the Enermax, I haven't had that particular model but they do get good reviews from people who know what they're talking about, Thermaltake do not have a great reputation and the Antec HE series have had some problems altough they might be sorted by now.

Soldato
kimandsally said:
From the one's you have there I would go with the Enermax, I haven't had that particular model but they do get good reviews from people who know what they're talking about, Thermaltake do not have a great reputation and the Antec HE series have had some problems altough they might be sorted by now.

I'm leaning towards the Enermax too, thought that would be that best one, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom