Sonos... Bose SoundTouch or Chromecast audio?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a speaker for the kitchen/bbq's. The Sonos speakers seem to be pretty good, but see there is also the Bose option. I guess the other alternative would be an active speaker with chromecast audio?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Soldato
If you've got steady WiFi and internet the Sonos are pretty spot on.

The controller app made me setup my system about 4 times though as each time my old WiFi went down (before I replaced it) it couldn't find the system and I had to pair all 4 speakers again.

Ignoring those teething problems (which haven't happened again since I replaced my WiFi router) the Sonos app and setup is pretty slick... but I've not tried either the Bose or Chromecast solutions.

EDIT: Reminds me, if you check my original post when I got them I cover quite a lot of what I like about them and answered a lot of questions people had https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18706026

Soldato
Out of them Ive only owned Sonos play 1s

There great for what I want, a small solution and occasional background music and when guests are over and so on.
They pack a punch as well, not tried full volume yet, don't think I ever would!

The only downside for me is they don't support 5ghz wifi, personally thats a feature that should be included in a premium speaker. Thats not to say Ive had problems on the 2.4ghz band though.

Soldato
I went with the Bose for my Wife at Xmas, as they allow you more freedom on where that music comes. She is in the habit of streaming from YouTube for instance, not sure the Sonos allow you to do that. (Worth checking)

Other than that, she loves the Bose speaker and I was fairly impressed at the quality and punch from a small speaker :)

Soldato
Was in the same boat last year.

Went for the Bose...just wish it would allow Amazon Music from the Soundtouch server, want to go for Prime membership but we listen to music more than watch tv.

Do like it and out the box sound is decent...there you go I said it...the BOSE is good sound! :D

Soldato
If you want multiroom, nothing beats Sonos IMO. It's reliable, the sound quality is decent for the price and the mobile app is better than most other offerings.

If you don't care about multiroom then Chromecast is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all - reading through that thread, lots of info!

If you want multiroom, nothing beats Sonos IMO. It's reliable, the sound quality is decent for the price and the mobile app is better than most other offerings.

If you don't care about multiroom then Chromecast is a hell of a lot cheaper.
Not fussed about multiroom at this point, but with the chromecast audio I would need to buy an active speaker. Any recommendations which would be better than the sonos play 1?

Associate
They'll give an analogue or TOSlink digital feed to pretty much anything... I'm using one with an old Marantz hifi and Gale speakers, two with Logitech Z213 (small rooms) and a Sony surround system for the living room connected via optical.

I pretty much used whatever speakers I had lying around, but I suppose you're free to choose whichever set's suitable to you really. The two Logitech mentioned above seem to got into a lower power sleep state, and fill the rooms they're in nicely.

Hopefully others may have better recommendations for you.

Caporegime
Multiroom works rather well with the recent updates... got a few peppered around the house, with individuals and a group for them all. Works a treat and saved me coughing up wads for a 4 room Sonos setup.

Do you actually save any money with chromecast, you've still got to buy the hardware to plumb it into (amp/speakers).

Soldato
OP
It seems a good solution if you already have systems in place, but I think the Sonos looks a better option for me (as I don't have anything currently) and is a nice small, wife friendly, speaker.

Associate
Do you actually save any money with chromecast, you've still got to buy the hardware to plumb it into (amp/speakers).

Aye, for me it was a money saver... used 2x existing amps, then bought 2x Logitech sets for about 15 quid off retail each... The CC Audios I bought most when the purple shirt brigade had a cheapy deal on recently.

Would love a full Sonos setup, but really couldn't justify the cost to kit the whole house out, and the CCA + bits works a treat. Means I'd be binning old but useable gear, just to have new shiny gear (I know that's daft, given my Google Pixel C escapade)!

Back
Top Bottom