Sony PSP

Man of Honour
Anyone still play with theirs? Dug mine out of a draw yesterday, stuck some power into it and updated it and played Wipeout and thought it stood up well. Is there much of a retro scene with these, modding going on or stuff you can do with them....or should I put it back in the draw and stop being silly?

Do you like RPG's, SRPG's and PSX emulation? If the answer to any of those is yes then the PSP is a top tier commute killing machine. The level of goodness in that little thing is awesome, and I flip between it and a DS lite. Sadly, the Vita really failed to capitalise on the PSP's greatness.

I play a lot of PSP games on my Vita. I do have a PSP but the shorter battery life, lack of second analogue stick and worse screen mean I do most of my PSP gaming (GTALCS, VCS, GT) on my Vita.

I am keeping an eye out for the few games that aren't on the PS Store that I don't have. I want to play MGS : PW which I picked up recently very cheap.

PSP holds up amazingly well imo. And dont worry about having updated it. I patched mine to the latest sony firmware and then applied custom. Check the subreddit for talk on the modding scene as I'm not sure what can be discussed here. I'll just say I recently dug my psp 3000 out, and within 5 minutes it was modded and ready to go. It's a lot easier now than back in the day. I just did a basic one on mine where you have to launch a quick app each time you launch the console to access the modded aspect however this can be done as a permanent thing to skip this step.

Oddly enough, listened to a podcast based on looking back at psp from a team that collect retro etc. Maximum Power Up, check them out.

Last edited:
Well I was surprised how fresh it still felt and how good the game seemed to play. Screen is a little dark and I suspect I will need to buy a fresh battery as I am sure the original will hold a charge for 20 minutes and then die, but might invest in a few games and give them a bash.

Well I was surprised how fresh it still felt and how good the game seemed to play. Screen is a little dark and I suspect I will need to buy a fresh battery as I am sure the original will hold a charge for 20 minutes and then die, but might invest in a few games and give them a bash.
Pop to CEX or similar they are dirt cheap! The podcast I mentioned, they were discussing that they believe soon these items may become more desirable and are surprised it isn't already as it's a solid system with a huge library!

Which model do you own?

I suggest the megadrive collection for great value

Last game I played on mine was Suikoden.
Now the Vita has been hacked, my PSP is sadly pretty useless. Those analogues were a pain in the butt for Kingdom Hearts.

Excellent console.. got tonnes of value from the PSP as it gave me Trails in the Sky which is one of my favorite JRPGs of all time and a beautifully paced story.

I remember buying the very first model directly from Japan (anyone remeber Lik Sang). I absolutely loved it.... I never understood why it failed to become as popular as Nintendo's mobile consoles.

The original model's screen is much worse than I remember the ghosting / blur is terrible in a fast paced game like THPS!
The PSP 1000 screen came in a few different variants - most commonly Sharp or Samsung on the early models (Japan getting the supposedly superior Sharp and EU/US getting the Samsung screens). I own a 1000, two 2000's and a Go, and whilst the Go has the nicest screen, the 1000 is still very playable...although quite dull in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom