Sony Xperia 1 MkIV

Associate
Expected announcement on 11th May with alleged 48mp sensor.

Also expected are SD 8 gen 1 (not plus), 4k OLED screen, headphone jack, SD card slot and an unflattering price £1400 or so.

I've been a fan of Xperia 1 series and hope this improves on several key issues, namely launch date and announcement being months apart.

Would very much welcome a boost to camera MP, battery life and accuracy to fingerprint reader.

Any one else keen? Rumoured price is a definite worry!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The Xperia 1 cameras have been decent. Unfortunately when 12mp is pitted against 48mp, it's always going to appear lesser but the photo pro app etc is very good.

The Apples, Samsungs and Chinese competitors rely on computational photography which appeals to Mr point & shoot but as I understand, Sony is trying to appeal to Mr enthusiast/pro/traditionalist.

As Sony make the sensors on the higher end phones, you'd expect them to earmark those for their own or at least get some advantage - apparently not!

I didn't bother with the MkIII but the MkII has been solid.

Associate
OP
I'm disappointed - really, REALLY marginal improvements. I use the MkII and it still doesn't seem worth the upgrade.

The charger aspect doesn't bother me as I have 50x type C chargers floating around but I was hoping for a boost to something.

16th June is the launch date which is a marked improvement (speed-wise) but again, I'm left with a sense of 'meh'.

Also, the £1300 price is pretty nuts - IF it had the HDMI input that'd be something...

Associate
OP
Sony has just announced the official cooling contraption for PRO GAMERS N STREAMERS.

It's essentially a fan with some additional IO but it's rumoured to be £160 - barmy!

Just make a new PSP FFS...

Back
Top Bottom