Sooo does anyone use an armchair to play PC?

Associate
I know i know a bit silly maybe... but my lass (im from the north east) wont let me get rid of the drawers that my monitor is sat on and i can't have a desk because their is no room whatsoever to put one in our house.

My gaming is beyond uncomfortable as i can only have my office chair so close to the drawers before i end up bashing my knees.

I have come up with a solution however but i cannot find any info or anyone online who has done this.

I am looking to get an armchair, possibly a tub style accent chair with high enough arms so i can make a board to go across the top of the arms and presto have my mouse and keyboard at desired height and sit and chill when i game.

Has anyone done this? ive seen a couch board with 2 cushions either side but i cannot have a couch in my bedroom which got me thinking about the armchair.

i have been to my local store and cannot find a chair cheap enough can anyone help or point me in the direction of a decent armchair which they may have used or used in a similar way to how i will have to play my pc.

thanks.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Rather than putting something across I've always wondered about if you could have 2 hard flat surfaces, one attached to each arm that you can pop out (I guess a bit like in a plane) and then have the keyboard on one (or maybe one of those gaming keypad things - dunno if they're good or bad though) and the mouse on the other but they don't share space and you get to spread out still... I presume someone good at DiY or a carpenter or alike must have put something together like that, then you could have a big nice reclining chair and mount the monitor high up on the wall...

Associate
Rather than putting something across I've always wondered about if you could have 2 hard flat surfaces, one attached to each arm that you can pop out (I guess a bit like in a plane) and then have the keyboard on one (or maybe one of those gaming keypad things - dunno if they're good or bad though) and the mouse on the other but they don't share space and you get to spread out still... I presume someone good at DiY or a carpenter or alike must have put something together like that, then you could have a big nice reclining chair and mount the monitor high up on the wall...
Best bet for that would be a used airline seat, the end of row type that has the table stow away in the arm but I doubt that would be cheap. Nor would paying someone to make one be cheap tbh. Could be worth it though!

Soldato

Flight of the Navigator

Associate
Flight of the Navigator

Ha, when I googled that I expected it to be some dude's youtube channel who's really into flightsims and has made something like I described above... not an 80s movie ... the trailer didn't really show off the chair but I managed to find some images of it, tables seem a bit high up might be rough on his shoulders but yeah something like that, ha.

Soldato
I was thinking along similar lines...

Here's something for a mouse...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chair-Armrest-Mouse-Support-Only-Adjustable/dp/B07K2MMKY2

Alternatively I was wondering whether you could go for a rollerball mouse you didn't need to move around.

Then you could a keypad on the other arm, perhaps.

Associate
Alternatively I was wondering whether you could go for a rollerball mouse you didn't need to move around.

I've never owned one, but I have a distinct impression they're an absolute pain to use, so it must have been from trying to use one in a museum exhibit or maybe a friend had one when I was a kid, I'm not sure .. and I'd imagine the technology and user experience has moved on a lot from then and there are probably good ones, but at the core of me I can't help but have a strong aversion to them.

Associate
Hah, that sounds like my setup was for about 3 years for the same reasons.
In the end I put my foot down and dismantled the chest of drawers and bought a small desk!
About 9 months prior to that though I bought one of them Roccat lapboards to use mouse and keyboard on my lap. It was the neck ache that got me in the end..

Associate
OP

been looking at those types of things myself. there is some out there and even a tray fot a keyboard that clamps on tho the frame of your chair and you can freely move the table around.

I have seen a kidney shaped tray though that goes around your body and sits on the arm rests. i am just trying to find a decent chair local that i can actually sit in and get the right height for the position i want my arms. i will be making the tray myself and wrapping it in cloth so it looks decent enough.

Associate
OP
Hah, that sounds like my setup was for about 3 years for the same reasons.
In the end I put my foot down and dismantled the chest of drawers and bought a small desk!
About 9 months prior to that though I bought one of them Roccat lapboards to use mouse and keyboard on my lap. It was the neck ache that got me in the end..

i have put my foot down a few times recently but i dont want to push my luck hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom