Sorry...another old PC upgrade question

Associate
Asking the Hive mind.
I have this very old PC:
Intelcore2 dou E8400@3GHz (I remember clocking it..but no idea what its is now or this is clocked speed)
Asus PQ5 pro MB
Radeon HD4890
4GB DDR2 corsair XMS2-6400
Win10 64

It works...but in order to play ww2online I need 8 GB RAM.

OCUK dont have any in stock (not suprsised as ancient tech)
It does look like I can buy DDR2 modules at about a tenner per 2GB elsewhere.
So my question is...
Should I get 8GB of new RAM or risk adding in another 4GB of diiferent manufacturer
or
Is there a ddr3 MB still availble that would take my other components and get 8+ GB of RAM.
or
Just admit that this is too old and start saving for a new rig (as per a previous post)

Ta

Associate
I’d probably just look for used parts if you want to beef that up. I’m pretty sure people will basically give away ddr2.

I don’t know your financial situation and games you’d like to play but There are a variety of builds people will share with you.

I personally would start from scratch (maybe build it slowly as you find deals while you source used ddr2)

Provide budget, monitor resolution, games list

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It does look like I can buy DDR2 modules at about a tenner per 2GB elsewhere.
So my question is...
Should I get 8GB of new RAM or risk adding in another 4GB of diiferent manufacturer

I downloaded the QVL and I find it hard to understand, why do they specify 3 dimm sockets in a 4 slot board? :confused:

Anyway, the plus side is that they list a whole bunch of 2GB modules and some of them apparently work in 3 sockets, so I assume they'll work if you populate the whole board.

So, my suggestion would be that you stick the model number of the ones that work (or that match yours) into your preferred store(s) and try to pick one up cheap. I tried it with e.g. KVR667D2N5/2G and it looks reasonably plentiful (£10 for a pair), KVR800D2N5/2G wasn't quite so easy to find.

Last edited:
Caporegime
TBH I wouldn't even consider an upgrade if you have £800-£1k to spend.

A quick and dirty AM4 PC:
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £873.23 (includes delivery: £12.30)​

You could even go a little bit further and improve things in some areas and it will **** all over your current PC. It's quite amazing what you can get for less than £1k these days.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks
Looked a bit more into what I want.
First off I just need a system with 8gb of memeory to play WW2online which is pretty undemanding in power requirements.
But...
I want to get back into flight sims, which will probably end up in VR (though not straight away)..not sure...mixed reviews..and track IR still seems better.
I assume VR takes a lot of power...

So...
Now I need a system that I can upgrade in the future if needed. Which means I can alocate more funds to it. Max £1200 (ish)
Im out of touch with cpus/sockets and assume that gfx cards are easy to upgrade...so maybe decent board and cpu and low/average gfx. So cna swao out cpu and gfx later if needed?

Though Im tempted to build my own..not sure I have the time.
Looking at the OCUK bundles:

for example: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...en-midi-gaming-pc-configurator-fs-021-tl.html

Thanks for any advice.

Caporegime
Thanks
Looked a bit more into what I want.
First off I just need a system with 8gb of memeory to play WW2online which is pretty undemanding in power requirements.
But...
I want to get back into flight sims, which will probably end up in VR (though not straight away)..not sure...mixed reviews..and track IR still seems better.
I assume VR takes a lot of power...

So...
Now I need a system that I can upgrade in the future if needed. Which means I can alocate more funds to it. Max £1200 (ish)
Im out of touch with cpus/sockets and assume that gfx cards are easy to upgrade...so maybe decent board and cpu and low/average gfx. So cna swao out cpu and gfx later if needed?

Though Im tempted to build my own..not sure I have the time.
Looking at the OCUK bundles:

for example: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...en-midi-gaming-pc-configurator-fs-021-tl.html

Thanks for any advice.
If you have extra to spend take my build, change the CPU to a 5600X, add a 32GB Memory kit (MSFS chews through RAM) and upgrade the graphics card.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Put this together but need to knock a hundred off.
Couple of queries:
DDR5 is it worth looking at this? (Price may make it a no though)
Downgrade cpu or gpx card?
Im happy to overclock (in fact need the ability too..but I’m out of touch about boards) so need a board that will.
What cooling?
What am I missing to build this (except OS)

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,325.53 (includes delivery: £11.70)​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom