Sound Blaster G6 volume issue

Soldato
I just made this video earlier of the issue im having, I think its self explanatory, any input or help on the subject would be greatly appreciated, I have no volume control in Windows except on the app im using, (Youtube, Spotify, WMP independent volume controls) or on my AV Receiver, connection is My PC USB port to G6 Optical output To AV Receiver optical input.

Last edited:
Associate
I have the G6 and did try optical out to a Yamaha AVR a while ago and couldn't control the volume through optical. I didn't investigate further as I removed the AVR amp from my desk and replaced with a mini amp with USB input. Not much help but at least you know you are not on your own.

Soldato
OP
I have the G6 and did try optical out to a Yamaha AVR a while ago and couldn't control the volume through optical. I didn't investigate further as I removed the AVR amp from my desk and replaced with a mini amp with USB input. Not much help but at least you know you are not on your own.

Thanks, Im thinking maybe im going to have to go from the 3.5mm headphone output to RCA inputs on my AV Receiver to get around this.
However first I am going to try enabling onboard auto in the bios, and go from my optical output on my motherboard to the optical input on the G6, then optical out on the G6 to my AVR, power the device from the mains, EDIT, although thinking about that now, I wouldnt have any software control over the device

Soldato
OP
My G6 only adjusts windows volume, doesn't touching app volume. Must be a setting hidden somewhere.

Works fine if I use the front headphone out, 3.5mm to RCA input on my AVR, but the only thing that works if I use the rear output is adjusting the volume with the remote control on my AVR.

Unfortunately the 1st option is a much worse audio quality, made another video of it here:

Associate
I have no faults on mine, only posted the link to the drivers in case people did not know they were available. I only found them by chance as they did not come up on the creative software I was using at the time as it did not detect any updates.

Soldato
OP
I have no faults on mine, only posted the link to the drivers in case people did not know they were available. I only found them by chance as they did not come up on the creative software I was using at the time as it did not detect any updates.

Whats you firmware version etc, you are basically one of the only people in the country who isnt experiencing this fault with the rear output.

Soldato
OP
latest v2.0

Just realised you are on about optical, dont know then, I only use 3.5 jack direct to the g6 and usb to pc

Yes rear outputs the problem, front 3.5mm headphone jack works as it should, but the audio quality is a noticeable difference worse when running a cable from that to my AVR

|I just did a full clean install, uninstalled everything to do with Creative, then went into both program files folders and manually deleted everything I could find to do with creative, I then went into device manager, selected show hidden devices and manually uninstalled all drivers relating to creative, rebooted the PC and installed the October 2020 drivers with the G6 unplugged from the USB, I then restarted and plugged in the G6, it picked it up, but the problem still remains the same, also the application did have an update available which is not on the creative website, so I updated that too, didn't make any difference.

Associate
You guys are trying to do the impossible. I will explain why you cannot control the volume
You connect your pc to g6 by usb.
from g6 you use the optical output amplifier port (digital signal in optical form to analog by DAC of the amplifier.) ====> so you can only control the volume on the amplifier.
to summarize. You guys do not have to control the volume where the signal is still digital (on pc it is still digital. and on g6 it is still digital)
you can only adjust the volume when it is converted to analog

Back
Top Bottom