Sound card or DAC?

Associate
Hi, finally managed to get set I wanted: Klipsch R51-M + Cambridge Audio CXA60 amp.

Amp has Bluetooth dongle but input lag putting me off.

My onboard audio on MSI x590a-pro is horrendous (low quality and not loud at all) and would need advice what to get to improve it.

On old PC I had Soundblaster Fatal1ty Gamers and it was great for both gaming and listening music.

What would you recommend guys? Something around £100 second hand. Internal/external soundcard or DAC?

Also what would be best method to connect to this amp:
* 3.5mm jack to RCA
* 3.5mm jack to mp3 link in front
* RCA to RCA ( if I'll find card with RCA output)
* Coaxial to Coaxial (if I'll find a card with coaxial output) (foslink is a big no no for this amp apparently)

Was looking at Asus Xonar Essence STX or Khadas Tone1 External Sound Card or Sound Blaster GC7 DAC

Last edited:
Shame the amp does not have USB input as it has its own DAC, would have been simple to connect but it is quite old now.

Music or gaming, or both? For your budget and if for mainly music I would be tempted by the new iFi Uno. Got RCA outputs on the back and if anything like their other products will be good value.
I was looking at ifi products too, and yeah - when i was buying it i saw USB port at back and didn't checked it was only for Bluetooth.

And what about iFi ZEN DAC V2 ? I could possibly stretch my budget on this one, but then again, reading reviews of this one and gc7 - gc7 wins.

Last edited:
This is something I can't make my mind up on lol.
I'm using speakers 95% for music, 5% for gaming.
I'm playing on Creative G Pro headphones which came with external sound card dongle so not sure how would this work on gc7 but I'd love to have those extra controls for gaming, ts/dc etc.

Last edited:
Another two to cause more confusion:
* STX has issues on Windows 11 :(
* Connected Aux to Aux yesterday and sound was much better than through Aux to RCA and Bluetooth

I could potentially use Aux all the time but it's in front of amp...

ATM canceled all my STX soundcard bids mostly due incompatibility. Waiting for isoacoustics iso stands to be delivered and will see difference then. Maybe will just stay with AUX atm as I had HiBy R3 Pro of my mate for a day to test and it's worst than onboard audio.

I'd say EAX isn't necessary in modern games, they do hifi audio so well it's not something I've missed since having Soundblasters then moving onto the STX then ditching sound cards entirely and going USB DAC/amp and enjoying even better quality and immersive audio in music/games. Would never look back.

The Topping would be excellent for basically everything.
Do you mean getting Topping on top what I've got already or sell my amp and get this instead?

Hmm might consider getting MX5 to try it out and compare to CA but looking at spec it's slight downgrade imho.

20Hz-20kHz on mx5 against <5Hz– 60kHz on CA
2x42W @ 8ohm on mx5 against 2x60W @ 8ohm

My speakers are 62 - 21,000 and thinking of getting sub @ 19-20Hz

Roomwise - I've added shelves for amp on my desk to suit amp and speakers and if you want me to be honest - i preffer normal size amps

Back
Top Bottom