Sound/vibration dampening HTPC

Caporegime
We recently bought a unit to go under the TV and I've plonked my HTPC inside. I've replaced the default fans with quieter ones but it still makes a humming noise (think the PSU it the loudest component in there) and one of thr HDDs causes a right racket (it's 7200).

Wondering if there are any sound/vibration dampening solutions or suggestions? Seen some mats and pads but they look like they'd make air intake at the bottom worse. I will be upgrading the system (modular and quieter PSU, better cable management and hopefully air flow, rubber grommets for vibration) but thought there might be a solution for the whole PC as well.

What capacity is the HDD? If relatively small, you could pick up an SSD for cheap, and make big changes to the acoustics.

Last edited:
As above - without getting shot of the HDD, or wrapping them in one of those heat sinks that completely enclosed them (can’t recall the name, even though I have 2 of them!), you’re fighting something of a losing battle.

As you say, PSUs can make a heck of a racket. Look at getting one that has passive cooling until a certain point when the fan slowly kicks in.

Back
Top Bottom