Soundbar help!

Soldato
I have a Denon AV amp, minx2 sub and a pair of Dali Spektor 2’s set up well as far as I can see in regard to sub crossover, automatic positioning with the the mic, etc.

I struggle to hear dialogue clearly, probably doesn’t help that my right ear is a bit rubbish.

I was thinking about a soundbar and sub for between £200-300 to replace the current setup… perhaps with some form of clear voice or something.

Current setup sounds great, but needs to be loud loud for me to make out things!

What say OCUK?

Last edited:
Soldato
Look at your AV settings and consider buying a centre speaker to go with your two Dali Spektors.

Soldato
I have a Denon AV amp, minx2 sub and a pair of Dali Spektor 2’s set up well as far as I can see in regard to sub crossover, automatic positioning with the the mic, etc.

I struggle to hear dialogue clearly, probably doesn’t help that my right ear is a bit rubbish.

I was thinking about a soundbar and sub for between £200-300 to replace the current setup… perhaps with some form of clear voice or something.

Current setup sounds great, but needs to be loud loud for me to make out things!

What say OCUK?
Most of the dialogue comes through the centre speaker, so if you haven’t got one no wonder you can’t hear anything. Don’t waste money on a soundbar just get a center speaker

Soldato
OP
I bought the avr about 6 years ago, x540bt, its options are pretty minimal apart from the likes of auto setup with mic, audio delay, limit levels, etc. can’t see an option at the moment.

I’ll look into centre speakers, but somewhat running low on space!

Soldato
I bought the avr about 6 years ago, x540bt, its options are pretty minimal apart from the likes of auto setup with mic, audio delay, limit levels, etc. can’t see an option at the moment.

I’ll look into centre speakers, but somewhat running low on space!

The one I linked above isn't too large and shouldn't take up more room than a soundbar at £99, although there are smaller options available.

With a centre speaker the AVR will send voice to it rather than mixing it between the two sides, so it should help with your problem and open up more options for setting up your AVR.

Soldato
OP
Buy the matching center that'll allow you to set center channel level, and adjust dialogue enhance, download your manual and look for dialogue enhance. It'll be an option once you add a center.
Defo doesn’t have dialogue enhance, but has a setting for centre image, which changes the output from side to centre.

Also seems to have a dialogue normalisation function, which is always active but without centre I guess I’m not getting the benefit.

Soldato
OP
The one I linked above isn't too large and shouldn't take up more room than a soundbar at £99, although there are smaller options available.

With a centre speaker the AVR will send voice to it rather than mixing it between the two sides, so it should help with your problem and open up more options for setting up your AVR.

That’s great, thanks! I do like the idea of sticking with Dali. I’d never looked into centre speaker, but seems to make a lot of sense if dialogue comes through there nice and clear rather than mixed with the sides.

Back
Top Bottom