SP2500 upgrade

Associate
Hi folks,

I have had the SP2500 speakers for over 5 years now, and whilst great, they have developed an annoying hiss at all volumes (even zero). This hiss is present regardless of the input, or in fact no input. It is not really bad by any means, but sitting a meter away you can notice it as soon as the unit is turned on, but it is a sound that you get used to, although annoying.

So anyways that got me thinking about an upgrade as the wife often complains of the microwave size sub taking up space on a bookshelf.

Primary use is music and gaming. I have a AE-5 sound card and want to stick with 2.1. Any recommendations. I want to get value, but do not mind spending to get a good set that will do for years.

Thanks

Associate
OP
What's your budget?

Up to £200, though would go further if I was convinced it was worth it. Ideally I want these to last a long time. Quite disappointing with the SP2500 in that regard. I had it in a repair store a few years ago due to a blown cap, the hiss, and the cover on the sub is peeling. Not the best quality!

Associate
OP
My SP2500 suddenly lost all "oomph" one morning while turning my PC on. Definetly seems to be issues with these speakers. I'm on the lookout for something new too, Has anyone used Creative T40 series 2 speakers at all? I'll have a look at the X300As monkentage recommended.

Yeah that happened to mine about 3 years ago. Took them to a electronics store and the guy repaired them and they have been grand since (apart from an annoying hiss at all volume levels).

Associate
OP
I had a look at the Creative T40 series 2 on the back of your last post. They look pretty good, although the auto power off function could be quiet annoying.

Back
Top Bottom