Spec a (long overdue) upgrade for an ignoramus

Soldato
The time has finally come for a bit of a PC renovation. Out with the ol' Athlon 1800+ and in with something new... and preferably inexpensive. I'm ok with using a computer and fixing them if they go wrong but I really don't know what I'm looking at as far as comparing different makes/models for various bits of kit, so I'm turning to the greater knowledge of you lot.

I mainly use the PC for the internet, downloading music, photoshopping, MS Office stuff and gaming (almost exclusively FPS's). What I'm after is a new mobo, cpu, gfx and I'll probably need ram. All to be tucked inside an Asus TA-210, as I quite like the look and they can be had for £30 (if you know prettier and cheaper, let me know).

The main challenge here is to keep things as cheap as possible, around £200-£300 without the case if that's possible. I wouldn't mind replacing my 17"Trinitron CRT with a flat screen but that would be an extra.

Edit: Just seen how cheap you can get TFTs. If I could get a reccomendation for a 17" or 19", that'd be grand :)

Last edited:
keyser said:
Could you sell any of your old stuff to get the budget up a bit?
I could flog my CRT, dunno what it'd fetch though. Would also have Athlon 1800+, mobo (don't know make atm), a CD writer and my old beige case with PSU. Don't imagine I'd get much for them.

Lee87 - what would I need to spend more on to get the gaming quality at a higher res?

Back
Top Bottom