Spec and advice please!

Associate
I am just using my work colleagues account while I wait for my own to be activated.
I want to upgrade my machine and need some advice. I am planning to buy a new motherboard, processor and graphics card. I currently have an old socket 478 Pentium and am thinking about going over to AMD. The machine will be mainly used for gaming, are the AMD chips better for this? I have been looking at either the 3700+ San Diego chip or the Dual Core 3800+. Is the Dual Core chip worth the extra money?

Any help for the above much appreciated!!

Man of Honour
Dual core is here to stay, and when the software vendors and developers catchup, you'll be glad you went for this. IMO.. go for a DC.

AMD socket 939 supports both single core and dual core. Therfore, has an excellant upgrade path.. So you could go for a cheap single core for now and buy a dual core at a later date without the expense of another mobo upgrade.

:)

Associate
DazedNFuzed said:
I am just using my work colleagues account while I wait for my own to be activated.
I want to upgrade my machine and need some advice. I am planning to buy a new motherboard, processor and graphics card. I currently have an old socket 478 Pentium and am thinking about going over to AMD. The machine will be mainly used for gaming, are the AMD chips better for this? I have been looking at either the 3700+ San Diego chip or the Dual Core 3800+. Is the Dual Core chip worth the extra money?

Any help for the above much appreciated!!

I had a Skt 478 2.8 P4 on an ASUS Mobo, with a Radeon 9600Pro.

Moved to the spec in my sig.

Graphics card made a major difference for games, but the proccessor wasn't mega-impressive, hopefully it will get faster once more programs are written to make use of DC.

How much are you looking to spend?

Soldato
DazedNFuzed said:
Looking to spend about £400. Was looking at the GeForce 7800GT with the Athlon 64 3700+ and the Asus A8N-SLi SE mobo.
that should be a great upgrade.

though if you want to encode & multitask also, then the dual core X2 3800+ is the clear winner. Also the CPU of choice to ensure future proofing imo, as much as is possible anyway.

Back
Top Bottom