Spec - any issues? NEED TO ORDER TODAY

Associate
Dual Core 4400+
Asus A8n32 mbrd
Seasonic S12 600W
Philips 200W6CS 20" monitor
Media Center software
Lian Li V1000 plus case
COrsair 2Gb DDR XMS 3200 C2PT Twin X ( two sets totalling 4Gb)
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS Extreme XXX
Hitachi 7TK250 hard drive x 6
Silverstone Eudeman SST-FP52
Creative speakers G500
Scythe Ninja plus CPU Fan

This will be my new build.....are there any clashes here/compatability issues?

Associate
OP
BigDom said:
Wouldn't go two set's of RAM.

1) don't need more than 2 gig.
2) I believe it disables dual channel mode.

will this always be the case..ie if I go with just 2Gb am I limited to this forever with the motherboard....ie unable to take advantage of dual channel

Soldato
Looks fine but if you can spare the extra cash you would really be much, much better of with this graphics card ... especially considering the rest of the spec (if you game)... Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO) ... Much better card than the 6800GS. The X1800XT is the biggest bargain in top-end cards at the moment.

Associate
OP
ACESHIGH said:
Looks fine but if you can spare the extra cash you would really be much, much better of with this graphics card ... especially considering the rest of the spec (if you game)... Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO) ... Much better card than the 6800GS. The X1800XT is the biggest bargain in top-end cards at the moment.

isn't that a crossfire card?

whereas the 6800 is the SLI card

Man of Honour
It shouldn't disable dual channel but should decrease the overclock limits aswell as limit you to using FAR slower 2T timings. This will decrease memory bandwidth significantly.

Oh and yes it is a Crossfire card. I expect he means you should just get one and not other with SLI at all (A sensible decision if you're not playing at massive resolutions.)

Soldato
caseman said:
isn't that a crossfire card?

whereas the 6800 is the SLI card

If you only have one card it doesnt matter. Will work in any mobo fine (even SLI mobos). Its very fast & quite cheap too. Better than 2x 6800GS cards in SLI. :) Heck its quicker than 2x 7800GT in most cases.

Associate
OP
ACESHIGH said:
If you only have one card it doesnt matter. Will work in any mobo fine (even SLI mobos). Its very fast & quite cheap too. Better than 2x 6800GS cards in SLI. :) Heck its quicker than 2x 7800GT in most cases.

I'm not a game player the build is for design work etc.....so should I stick with the 6800?

Associate
OP
Zefan said:
It shouldn't disable dual channel but should decrease the overclock limits aswell as limit you to using FAR slower 2T timings. This will decrease memory bandwidth significantly.

Oh and yes it is a Crossfire card. I expect he means you should just get one and not other with SLI at all (A sensible decision if you're not playing at massive resolutions.)

same point here - i am not gameplayer or overclocker.....with 4Gb will I notice a significant performance drop ....the 4Gb because of the packages I will be running and to future proof to some extent

Back
Top Bottom