Spec check - Gaming PC

Associate
Hi,

Wondering if I could get some thoughts on this spec and if there's anything I could improve or be wary of something I've picked out? I want the PC to be pretty understated and not full of RGB (I know a few things in there have, not sure how to get round them looking at options). Price isn't an issue at this point as long as it's not silly. Thanks!

Case
ASUS ProArt PA602 E-ATX CASE

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16 Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.7GHz/144MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2 (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6E)

Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 32GB)

Graphics Card
24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG - 2x HDMI, 3x DP

1st M.2 SSD Drive
4TB CRUCIAL T705 GEN 5 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 14,100MB/sR, 12,600MB/sW)

1st Storage Drive
18TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE

Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Audio is going to be via USB connection with some Kef LS50 Wireless
Display is an LG C3 42".

Last edited:
Will be using it for just streaming
Is the SSD ever the bottleneck for you? E.g. do you copy multiple GBs worth of data every day? That's the most excessive part of your build and for the average gamer offers no meaningful benefit over PCI-E 4.0.

CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Is this the SHIFT or the original version? The original version doesn't come with a native cable for the graphics card, though the graphics card does come with an adapter.

Is the SSD ever the bottleneck for you? E.g. do you copy multiple GBs worth of data every day? That's the most excessive part of your build and for the average gamer offers no meaningful benefit over PCI-E 4.0.
Tbh I just saw the fastest and picked that. Assumed I would get some benefit from it. Wasn't for anything specific. My current PC is a 980ti 10 year old build so just picking out what I'm guessing is the best I can get for now/budget.
Is this the SHIFT or the original version? The original version doesn't come with a native cable for the graphics card, though the graphics card does come with an adapter.
Not sure would have to check

Tbh I just saw the fastest and picked that. Assumed I would get some benefit from it. Wasn't for anything specific. My current PC is a 980ti 10 year old build so just picking out what I'm guessing is the best I can get for now/budget.
You're still using your PC, right? I'd open up task manager and have a look while you use your PC. It is pretty rare that the SSD is a meaningful bottleneck and you have to have a specific kind of usage to see a decent benefit from PCIE 5.0 SSDs.

It is good to have a PCI-E 5.0 SSD slot available for future use, but they're rarely worth buying right now.

You're still using your PC, right? I'd open up task manager and have a look while you use your PC. It is pretty rare that the SSD is a meaningful bottleneck and you have to have a specific kind of usage to see a decent benefit from PCIE 5.0 SSDs.

It is good to have a PCI-E 5.0 SSD slot available for future use, but they're rarely worth buying right now.
Understood, so I can save quite a bit there then going for a PCI-E 4.0 based one. Glad I asked now haha!

Understood, so I can save quite a bit there then going for a PCI-E 4.0 based one. Glad I asked now haha!
Yep! Hardly anyone is buying them for gaming right now, but in a few years time I'm sure they'll be more worthwhile, so it is good to have the slot (the motherboard in your spec has 1x PCI-E 5.0 M.2 slot).

The only circumstance I can see you benefiting is if you copy large volumes of data between drives when you finish editing and archive your streams, but if you're doing that with a hard drive I think your hard drive would be the bottleneck there anyway.

TPU do have some reviews if you want to check for yourself:

Tbh I just saw the fastest and picked that.
Did you do the same with the CPU?

The CPU you have picked only has the 3D cache on half the cores, so for gaming it is pretty much indistinguishable from the 7800X3D, which is why it is more popular. You'd normally only buy the 7950X3D if you're doing heavily multithreaded work that needs the extra cores. I suppose streaming might be more demanding, but from what I'm aware of, it doesn't place a lot of load on the CPU. The 7900X3D is rarely a good option because it only has the X3D's cache across 6 of the 12 cores and it can be slower than the 7800X3D.

There are new CPUs releasing in July too, by the way.

Last edited:
Did you do the same with the CPU?

The CPU you have picked only has the 3D cache on half the cores, so for gaming it is pretty much indistinguishable from the 7800X3D, which is why it is more popular. You'd normally only buy the 7950X3D if you're doing heavily multithreaded work that needs the extra cores. I suppose streaming might be more demanding, but from what I'm aware of, it doesn't place a lot of load on the CPU. The 7900X3D is rarely a good option because it only has the X3D's cache across 6 of the 12 cores and it can be slower than the 7800X3D.

There are new CPUs releasing in July too, by the way.
of course I did :cry: So would that mean the 7950X3D would be slower in games? Any productivity is going to be on a Macbook Pro so this is literally a gaming machine and streaming with Plex.

of course I did :cry: So would that mean the 7950X3D would be slower in games? Any productivity is going to be on a Macbook Pro so this is literally a gaming machine and streaming with Plex.

the 7950x3d stumbles if windows allocates the game to the wrong core though
might as well save some money and get the 7800x3d

So would that mean the 7950X3D would be slower in games?
7950X3D = mostly not, but see the video above ^^.

If you were having to compromise on other parts of your build to buy the 7950X3D I'd definitely say "don't buy", but since you already have a 4090, meh, there are worse ways to spend £150...

What I would say though: if you're planning to replace your CPU with a 9950X3D or 10950X3D in the future, I would not bother with it now and just get the 7800X3D.

7950X3D = mostly not, but see the video above ^^.

If you were having to compromise on other parts of your build to buy the 7950X3D I'd definitely say "don't buy", but since you already have a 4090, meh, there are worse ways to spend £150...

What I would say though: if you're planning to replace your CPU with a 9950X3D or 10950X3D in the future, I would not bother with it now and just get the 7800X3D.

the 7950x3d stumbles if windows allocates the game to the wrong core though
might as well save some money and get the 7800x3d

Thanks again, you've both been massively helpful :) Really appreciate it. I'll watch the vid, guessing the 7800 is the way forward for now and consider upgrades further down the line if it's worth it. Pointless paying for something that isn't going to do much.

Back
Top Bottom