Spec Driving Sunglasses

Associate
Was out for a drive yesterday and found my old glasses had disappeared.

Can't stand driving with the sun glaring in my face and wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations for comfortable anti glare sunglasses before I go buy the first thing that looks half decent on the high street.

Not fussed about brands, rather a solution thats tried and tested.

Soldato
Went into boots, looked at prescription sunglasses, asked if they did without prescription, sure, £80 off or something. Picked a pair that ended up costing a tenner. Job jobbed.

Soldato
I treated myself to some polarised RayBans recently, find them lovely for driving, as they aren't too dark. I spent £120 as they were in a sale, not sure what your budget is.

Soldato
If you want multi-purpose oakley bronze polarised flak jacket say, can run/cycle/beach ... and .. drive too , they wrap a bit, not too dark but work on sunniest days - best purchase over many years.

Sgarrista
Commissario
+1 for oakleys,

Straight jacket wrap arounds, OO red iridium polarised lenses. I like these lenses as they are great in changeable conditions (eg if it goes overcast you wont be having to take them off etc)

Ham

Ham

Associate
If you're not worried about a cool brand and are looking for some superb sunglasses then you want to be looking at Serengeti or Maui Jim.

I have a pair of Serengetis and they're excellent all-round, especially for driving. I've had people comment on them and ask what brand they are, though when I respond they just shrug.

Associate
If you're not worried about a cool brand and are looking for some superb sunglasses then you want to be looking at Serengeti or Maui Jim.

I have a pair of Serengetis and they're excellent all-round, especially for driving. I've had people comment on them and ask what brand they are, though when I respond they just shrug.

what shops stock these?

Soldato
Maui Jim are a cool brand I would say ? surfing pedigree vs Oakley cycling

(Oakley previously replaced an M frame for me foc when it cracked, bike wipeout may have been contributory)
gratuitously uploading a picture (this with polarized bronze)
I prefer glasses where people can see your eyes - as opposed to Man with no eyes in cool hand luke ?

glasse_zpszcsz1v2t.png~original

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Whatever you get, make sure they're polarised - makes a huge amount of difference when driving!

Not just that, but also the right tint. Many polarised sunglasses have darker blue/white tints that aren't well suited to driving, especially when lighting changing such as going under a tunnel or as light levels fall during heavy cloud cover and suchlike.

The orange tinted ones are the best for driving and don't affect light levels in poor lighting.

It's also worth trying a bunch of brands, some will reflect less light on the inside of the lens than others. I've had various and only found Oakley HDO lenses to reflect the least least amount of light around on the inside, while also being the most comfortable and lightweight. The pair I have are the Flak 2.0 where the lenses curve slightly around the edge of the frame too for maximum glare control.

I found Ray Bans to be the worst for internal reflections. The treatment on the Oakley lenses just seemed much better. They cost more, but you get what you pay for.

Associate
If your budget doesn't run to Oakley/Raybans give Bloc sunglasses a go. They are significantly cheaper and their polarised lenses are excellent. I love my Bloc Square Polarised (P135) sunglasses and you can get them for £23 if you hunt around, which is just over half of RRP

Back
Top Bottom